Capacitor with radius finding the energy density

In summary, a capacitor is a device used to store electrical energy. The energy density of a capacitor is determined by its radius, with a larger radius resulting in a higher energy density. This means that a capacitor with a larger radius can store more energy compared to one with a smaller radius. The energy density of a capacitor can also be affected by the material used to make it, as well as the distance between the two plates. Overall, the radius of a capacitor plays a significant role in determining its energy storage capacity.
sonrie
A capacitor is formed from two concentric spherical conducting shells separated by vacuum. The inner sphere has radius 12.5 cm , and the outer sphere has radius 16.5 cm . A potential difference of 100 V is applied to the capacitor.

What is the energy density at r = 12.6 cm , just outside the inner sphere?

What is the energy density at r = 16.4 cm , just inside the outer sphere?

Equations:
U= 1/2 CV^2/Ad
U= 1/2 Eo E^2
C= EoA/d
V= Ed

C= 8.85*10^-12 *pi * .126^2/.04 =1.11*10^-11
so next i solved for U, U= .5 *1.11*10^-11 *100^2/pi*.126^2*.04=2.78*10^-5 which is not correct, Help PLease!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sonrie,

I believe you are using a wrong formula here. The expression

[tex]
C=\epsilon_0 \frac{A}{d}
[/tex]

applies to a parallel plate capacitor. The spherical capacitor has a different formula.

The formula energy density = (1/2) CV^2/(Ad) is also normally used for the constant field of a parallel plate capacitor. The other one (energy density = (1/2) [itex]\epsilon_0[/itex] E^2) applies to any capacitor problem.

(You might also find that the formula C=Q/V is helpful.)

Thanks!

How do I find E, which I need to find the energy density? Then what do I do?

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy by accumulating an electric charge on two conductive plates separated by an insulating material.

2. How does the radius affect the energy density of a capacitor?

The radius of a capacitor affects the electric field between the plates, which in turn affects the energy density. The larger the radius, the smaller the electric field and therefore the lower the energy density. Conversely, a smaller radius results in a higher electric field and energy density.

3. What is the formula for calculating energy density in a capacitor?

The formula for energy density in a capacitor is given by U = 0.5 * ε * E^2, where U is the energy density, ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, and E is the electric field strength.

4. How can the energy density of a capacitor be increased?

The energy density of a capacitor can be increased by either increasing the permittivity of the material between the plates or by increasing the electric field strength. This can be achieved by decreasing the distance between the plates or by increasing the voltage across the capacitor.

5. What is the importance of energy density in capacitors?

The energy density of a capacitor determines how much energy can be stored in the capacitor for a given size. It is an important factor in the design of capacitors for various applications, such as in electronic devices or power systems, as it affects their performance and efficiency.