Capitalising trigonometric functions

In summary, there is no universal standard for capitalization of trigonometric functions. Some use the capital letter to denote restricted functions, while others use it to represent complex extensions. It is important to follow the convention of the text or context in which the functions are being used.
EricPowell
I have always capitalised the first letter of my trigonometric functions, for example, writing Sinθ as opposed to the usual sinθ. Is it wrong to capitalise them? Does it make a difference in meaning?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It does not, however that is not common practice.

It might make a difference, depending on your convention. Restricted sine and cosine functions sometimes have the first letter capitalised. Read: http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_guide/Inverse-Cosine-and-Inverse-Sine.topicArticleId-11658,articleId-11639.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've heard that Sin(x) was used for a different definition of the sine function, like sin(some constant* x).

EDIT: after looking up on the internet, I haven't found anything supporting my claim yet, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Boorglar said:
I think I've heard that Sin(x) was used for a different definition of the sine function, like sin(some constant* x).
In some texts, Sin(x) is the sine function restricted to its principal domain, [-##\pi/2, \pi/2##].

Similarly, Cos(x) is the cosine function restricted to its principal domain, [0, ##\pi##].

Boorglar said:
EDIT: after looking up on the internet, I haven't found anything supporting my claim yet, so I could be wrong.

I've seen both Sin and Cos refer to the complex extensions of sin and cos. So it seems as if different authors use the capitalised forms for different variants.

What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. They are commonly used in geometry, physics, and engineering.

Why do we need to capitalise trigonometric functions?

In mathematical notation, the capitalization of letters can change the meaning of a variable or function. In trigonometry, capital letters are used to represent inverse trigonometric functions, which have different properties and applications than their lowercase counterparts.

Which trigonometric functions should be capitalised?

The six main trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent) should be capitalised when representing their inverse functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent.

What is the difference between a lowercase and uppercase trigonometric function?

The lowercase trigonometric functions (sin, cos, tan) represent the ratios of sides in a right triangle, while their uppercase counterparts (SIN, COS, TAN) represent the inverse ratios of sides in a right triangle. The inverse functions are used to find angles or side lengths in a triangle, rather than the ratios of sides.

Are there any exceptions to capitalising trigonometric functions?

Yes, the constant pi (π) is typically written in lowercase, even though it is related to the trigonometric functions as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.