1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car crash collision calculation

1. Oct 21, 2006 #1
    i am doing a physics project where you have to draw a situation and explain as much physics as possible. So me and my friends anre doing a car crash, actually a car hitting a pole. And we want to know a formula to calculate how much the pole will be pushed back/dented or if broken from base.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

What kind of pole - wood or metal, hollow or solid.

One has to understant impulse loading.

The poll will shear if the shear stress exceeds the critical shear. Otherwise it could bend if sufficient moment is applied. It could dent (plastically deform), or the car's frame and body could absorb most of the energy.

See this for some ideas - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/impulse.html
  4. Oct 21, 2006 #3
    Thank you Astronuc

edit, i will use this formula but i need to know the average critical shear or maximun amounts of force (in newtons) that an average steel pole can handle.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?