Car Port post load calculation

In summary, Ben has built a car port post in an inverted L shape and wants to calculate the load that it can support. He thinks he has “over-killed” the posts enough and is curious to see how much weight this structure could hold. All metal is 1/4" thick and the base mounting bolts/rod is 5/8" thick. The concrete base is 12" sonotube with 24" footing @ 8" thick. If the sonotube is not deep enough, it will be moved out of the soil from freeze and thaw.
Bencrx91
Good day everyone.

I have built a car port post in an inverted L shape and want to calculate the load that it can support.

I think I have “over-killed” the posts enough.
I am curious to see how much weight this structure could hold.

Any way of calculating the load at the area which support the wood beam ?

All metal is 1/4" thick.
Base mounting bolts/rod is 5/8"
All joints are welded with arc-welding @ 7018 @ 1/8" rod.

Concrete base 12" sonotube with 24" footing @ 8" thick.
Embedded re-bar 2 part setup .

See attached pictures.

Thanks,
Ben

Attachments

• Poteaux_001_Assemblé_001a.jpg
    Poteaux_001_Assemblé_001a.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 781
  • Poteaux_001_Assemblé_002a.jpg
    Poteaux_001_Assemblé_002a.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 664
  • Poteaux_001.jpg
    Poteaux_001.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 751
Engineering news on Phys.org
Other pics.

Attachments

• PoteauTerminé.jpg
    PoteauTerminé.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 631
  • Poteaux_001_Assemblé_003.jpg
    Poteaux_001_Assemblé_003.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 584
  • BoltRack.jpg
    BoltRack.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,117
Bencrx91 said:
Concrete base 12" sonotube with 24" footing @ 8" thick.
Where do you live?

Where I live - in Canada, Sonotubes are not a good thing. Water seeps down, freezes in the winter and then pushes the concrete straight up the smooth inside of the Sonotube.

And we got to go down 36" - 48".

(Just finished building my own carport.)

http://davesbrain.livejournal.com/2011/11/05/

Thanks for the reply Dave, I live near Ottawa, Canada.

I have poured a 24" diameter footing @ 5ft deep then poured the sonotube on top of it with rebar joining the concrete footing and sonotube. Code require 4ft deep, I have 5ft, it should be good.

Sonotube without "base/footings" if not deep enough will be moved out of the soil from freeze and thaw. (i.e. most people do the sonotubes for fences and dig only 24", 2 years after the fence is out of alignment).

Cheers!
Ben

Bencrx91 said:
Thanks for the reply Dave, I live near Ottawa, Canada.

I have poured a 24" diameter footing @ 5ft deep then poured the sonotube on top of it with rebar joining the concrete footing and sonotube. Code require 4ft deep, I have 5ft, it should be good.

Sonotube without "base/footings" if not deep enough will be moved out of the soil from freeze and thaw. (i.e. most people do the sonotubes for fences and dig only 24", 2 years after the fence is out of alignment).

Cheers!
Ben

Ah! (Chance were highly unlikely you were anywhere near as far North as I - let alone farther. High five!)

Jesoosi Chistoosi - are those four inch square steel tubes? You could park a second car up there!

Almost ... 3.5" tubing @ 1/4" in thick.
I know, it's overkill haha, but I would really like to see how much it can support.
A car... or a dump truck ? haha.

1. What is a car port post load calculation?

A car port post load calculation is a process used to determine the maximum weight that a car port post can safely support. This calculation takes into account factors such as the dimensions and materials of the post, as well as the weight of the car port itself and any potential loads it may bear (such as snow accumulation).

2. Why is it important to perform a car port post load calculation?

Performing a car port post load calculation is important to ensure the structural integrity and safety of the car port. If the post is unable to bear the weight of the car port and any potential loads, it could collapse and cause damage or injury.

3. How is a car port post load calculation performed?

A car port post load calculation is typically performed using engineering formulas and calculations. These formulas take into account the dimensions and materials of the post, as well as the expected weight and loads on the car port. It is recommended to consult a professional engineer for an accurate and thorough calculation.

4. What factors can affect the load bearing capacity of a car port post?

The load bearing capacity of a car port post can be affected by various factors such as the material and dimensions of the post, the design and construction of the car port, the location and climate of the area, and any potential loads the car port may bear (such as snow or wind).

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a car port?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a car port. It is important to regularly inspect the car port and its posts for signs of damage or wear. Also, be sure to follow any weight or load restrictions specified by the manufacturer. If you live in an area prone to heavy snow or strong winds, consider reinforcing the car port or removing snow accumulation to prevent excessive strain on the posts. It is also recommended to consult a professional engineer for a thorough car port post load calculation and to ensure the safety of the structure.