Car powered by can of tomato soup.

• Thread starter ahrenstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking ideas and information on how to make a car travel exactly two meters, powered by a can of tomato soup. Suggestions include using a hamster running on a treadmill, using gear ratios, using a watermill structure, and using friction from dropping the can off a table. Some posters initially thought the project involved a full-size car, but it is later clarified that it is a toy car. Some humorous suggestions involve using a water gun or a person with irritable bowl syndrome.
ahrenstein
Hey I am working on a project where I have to make a car travel EXACTLY two meters, no more and no less, and it has to be powered somehow by a can of tomato soup. You can
use the soup inside the can or just the can alone. Does anyone have any ideas or information that can help me? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd use a hamster trained to eat tomato soup running on a treadmill.

Sorry, it's an absurd question, but very amusing.

The problem is that 'powered somehow by a can of soup' doesn't give enough information.

Welcome to the forum, sorry I can't be of more help and thanks for a good laugh.

Just on top of my head. I am not an engineer yet. How about using gear ratios to take advantage of the weight of can of soup. Maybe using 2 meters of rope to move car 2 meters? Just a thought.

Added:

Now that I think about it, would need a lot longer rope due to ratio of gears.

Last edited:
what about turning the tomato soup upside down, open a tiny hole so it pours out, then use a watermill type structure to move the wheels with the force given by the pouring soup...if that makes any sense.

rusty009 said:
what about turning the tomato soup upside down, open a tiny hole so it pours out, then use a watermill type structure to move the wheels with the force given by the pouring soup...if that makes any sense.

That makes perfect sense. I think it is a better idea than what I had.

Secretblend said:
That makes perfect sense. I think it is a better idea than what I had.

Is that a sarcastic comment? lol

rusty009 said:
Is that a sarcastic comment? lol

LOL not at all! Sorry if it came out that way.

You could put the car on a 2m high table, tie the car to the can with some string, drop the can off the edge of the table, and create enough friction on the car's axles to stop it when the can touches the floor.

ahrenstein said:
Hey I am working on a project where I have to make a car travel EXACTLY two meters, no more and no less, and it has to be powered somehow by a can of tomato soup. You can
use the soup inside the can or just the can alone. Does anyone have any ideas or information that can help me? Thanks!

LOL. When I first read this, I thought it was a joke because I pictured a full-size car. But the OP must mean a toy car. Sheesh.

berkeman said:
LOL. When I first read this, I thought it was a joke because I pictured a full-size car. But the OP must mean a toy car. Sheesh.

:rolleyes: I was thinking of full-size car also. Oh well. If it was me, I might still use full-size car for added challenge. :biggrin:

Strangely enough, the very first post that I ever made on PF was similar to this one. My advice is the same now: if the rules don't prohibit it, just either build a wall at the 2-metre mark or tie a 2-metre string to the car that will stop it dead at that distance.

Maybe you could mount a pump-action water gun to shoot tomato soup out the back of the car like a rocket.

Crosson said:
Maybe you could mount a pump-action water gun to shoot tomato soup out the back of the car like a rocket.

I knew someone who did that on a frightening level. The diagnosis was 'irritable bowl syndrome'.

Related to Car powered by can of tomato soup.

1. How does a car run on a can of tomato soup?

It may seem strange, but a car can run on a can of tomato soup by using the thermal energy from the soup to power an engine. The heat from the soup is converted into mechanical energy, which turns the wheels of the car and allows it to move.

2. Is the soup used as fuel for the car?

No, the soup is not used as fuel for the car. Instead, the heat from the soup is used to power the engine and move the car. The soup is not burned or consumed in any way.

3. How much soup is needed to power a car?

The amount of soup needed to power a car depends on the size of the car and the efficiency of the engine. In most cases, a single can of soup may not be enough to power a car for a long period of time. However, with advancements in technology, it may be possible to use smaller amounts of soup to power a car in the future.

4. What happens to the soup after it is used to power the car?

The soup is not used up or destroyed in the process of powering a car. It can be reused multiple times to power the car. However, it will eventually lose its heat and will need to be replaced with a new can of soup.

5. Are there any other types of food that can power a car?

Yes, there are other types of food that can potentially be used to power a car, such as coffee grounds or vegetable oil. However, these alternative fuels may require more processing and may not be as efficient as using a can of soup.