Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car powered by can of tomato soup.

1. May 22, 2008 #1
    Hey I am working on a project where I have to make a car travel EXACTLY two meters, no more and no less, and it has to be powered somehow by a can of tomato soup. You can
    use the soup inside the can or just the can alone. Does anyone have any ideas or information that can help me? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2

Gold Member

I'd use a hamster trained to eat tomato soup running on a treadmill.

Sorry, it's an absurd question, but very amusing.

The problem is that 'powered somehow by a can of soup' doesn't give enough information.

Welcome to the forum, sorry I can't be of more help and thanks for a good laugh.
  4. May 22, 2008 #3
    Just on top of my head. I am not an engineer yet. How about using gear ratios to take advantage of the weight of can of soup. Maybe using 2 meters of rope to move car 2 meters? Just a thought.

Now that I think about it, would need alot longer rope due to ratio of gears.
    Last edited: May 22, 2008
  5. May 22, 2008 #4
    what about turning the tomato soup upside down, open a tiny hole so it pours out, then use a watermill type structure to move the wheels with the force given by the pouring soup...if that makes any sense.
  6. May 22, 2008 #5
    That makes perfect sense. I think it is a better idea than what I had.
  7. May 22, 2008 #6
    Is that a sarcastic comment? lol
  8. May 22, 2008 #7
    LOL not at all! Sorry if it came out that way.
  9. May 22, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could put the car on a 2m high table, tie the car to the can with some string, drop the can off the edge of the table, and create enough friction on the car's axles to stop it when the can touches the floor.
  10. May 22, 2008 #9

Staff: Mentor

LOL. When I first read this, I thought it was a joke because I pictured a full-size car. But the OP must mean a toy car. Sheesh.
  11. May 22, 2008 #10
    :uhh: I was thinking of full-size car also. Oh well. If it was me, I might still use full-size car for added challenge. :biggrin:
  12. May 23, 2008 #11

Gold Member

Strangely enough, the very first post that I ever made on PF was similar to this one. My advice is the same now: if the rules don't prohibit it, just either build a wall at the 2-metre mark or tie a 2-metre string to the car that will stop it dead at that distance.
  13. May 23, 2008 #12
    Maybe you could mount a pump-action water gun to shoot tomato soup out the back of the car like a rocket.
  14. May 23, 2008 #13

Gold Member

I knew someone who did that on a frightening level. The diagnosis was 'irritable bowl syndrome'.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?