Car things (Why does lead increase the octane rating)?

In summary, the conversation involved discussing the spontaneous ignition of fuels (specifically hydrocarbons) when compressed. The asker was confused about how this process works and how lead plays a role in preventing it. The conversation also touched on the composition of premium unleaded fuel and its octane rating. The asker mentioned using this information for a chemistry assignment and expressed interest in studying chemistry in the future. The responder advised utilizing resources like libraries and online sources for easily accessible answers.
FiggelHorn
Hey guys and girls

The first thing I should probably ask is why do fuels (Hydrocarbons) spontaneously ignite when they are compressed, this seems rather strange to my brain in fact it makes my brain feel like it's having a meltdown (if you have ever had that feeling). The whole idea confuses me, what I understand of heat is that it is the average kinetic energy of the substance so how does compressing the substance increase its heat energy that much?

My main question is actually how lead relates to this, how it stops this process from happening?

Since I already started a thread I might as well ask if you happen to know, premium unleaded assuming it has an octane rating of 95 does that mean it has 95% octane and 5% heptane?

FIY - this is for a chemistry assignment; we are currently doing the gas laws etc. so we have to relate all the chemistry (stoichiometry) and the gas law things back to a car engine.

So I choose to compare the carbon emissions of a diesel CX-7 with a premium unleaded one. Rather complex chemistry for year 11 in my opinion, not that I'm complaining I have always like chemistry thinking about going to uni and studying something to do with chemistry when I finish school . . . that is if I live to see that day :tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
1. When you compress the gas, you do work on this gas - no wonder it heats up.

2. It is not lead. Check wikipedia entry on leaded gas.

3. No, octane rating of 95 doesn't meant it has 95% octane and 5% heptane. Check wikipedia entry on octane rating.

In general - remember: library first, wiki/google second, ask on forums third! Answers to your questions are easily available from many sites.

1. Why is octane rating important in car engines?

The octane rating of a fuel indicates its resistance to engine knocking, which is the premature and uncontrolled ignition of fuel in the engine. Higher octane fuels have a higher resistance to knocking, which can improve engine performance and fuel efficiency.

2. What is lead and how does it increase the octane rating?

Lead is a chemical element that was commonly used as an octane booster in gasoline. It was added to fuel in the form of tetraethyl lead, which slowed down the combustion process and increased the octane rating. However, lead has since been phased out due to its harmful effects on the environment and human health.

3. Are there any alternatives to lead for increasing octane rating?

Yes, there are several alternatives to lead for increasing octane rating, including ethanol, methanol, and other oxygenates. These substances have a higher octane rating and can also reduce emissions and improve engine performance.

4. What happens if I use a lower octane fuel than recommended for my car?

If your car's manufacturer recommends a minimum octane rating and you use a lower octane fuel, it can lead to engine knocking and potentially damage your engine over time. It is important to use the recommended octane rating for your car to ensure proper performance and longevity.

5. Can I mix different octane fuels in my car?

Yes, you can mix different octane fuels in your car. This is often referred to as "topping off" and can be done when you have a small amount of low octane fuel left in your tank and need to fill up with a higher octane fuel. However, it is not recommended to consistently mix different octane fuels, as it can affect engine performance and fuel efficiency.