Programming a Small Car Simulator in Belgium

In summary: So, if you're dealing with an engine that doesn't meet this criterion, you'll have to either come up with another way of measuring torque (which might be more complicated), or you could use a more sophisticated engine model.In summary, the author is trying to program a car simulator, but has a problem calculating various aspects of the car such as force, speed, and air resistance. He uses various equations to calculate these variables, and also discusses the importance of torque and power in relation to engine speed.
MrMaxus
Hi,

I'm trying to program a sort of small car simulator, but I have a problem.
I managed to calculate the force on the car, acceleration, speed, air ressistance etc...

My theory:
We've got a car at a certain speed (v) and I calculate the RPM:
Code:
rpm = ( v * gear-ratio * current gear ratio ) / ( 2pi * tyre_radius) * 60

Now I calculate the torque:
Also I calculate the engine power (Watt) from horsepower.
Code:
torque =  ( horsepower * 745.69987158227022 ) / ( 2pi * (rpm / 60 ) )

Then I am able to calculate the force on the car:
Code:
F = ( torque * final_gear_ratio * current_gear_ratio) / tyre_radius

Remarks:
1. it doesn't work when speed = 0
2. it's better to work with a torque and power function because they aren't the same at different engine speeds (max power at certain RPM), but how do you create/calculate such a function. Or can this only be made by testing the engine to get the values?

example of one:
http://www.electroprivod.ru/theory/2-8.gif

I'm from Belgium so please use the SI units!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two effects here resisting the torque of the engine or force applied by the tyres. One effect, which one mentions is air resistance, but the other effect is acceleration or change in speed of the car.

The air resistance is proportional to the speed of the car (or = kvn, where n >1), and one could use a coefficient of drag.

Yes torque and power vary with engine speed, much in the same way that pump performance varies with speed. One normally determines the relationship (function) by testing the engine. There is internal resistance in a rotating system, which increases with speed. In addition, in a pump, the fluid can only flow in only so fast, and similarly in some engines, the fuel and air supply can only get in so fast. Fuel injection and turbocharging (as compared to normal aspiration) are way to improve fuel and air flow for improved engineer performance.

Ok, I understand, but is there a way to get or make such a relationship if it's determined by testing.
Can I somewhere get these values/curves?
On every sites, If they provide some info about torque, I only find max torque or power @ xxxx rpm.

The device used to measure these things is called a dyno (dynamometer). I think it's also referred to as a rolling road in the UK. If you search for these terms, the web is filled with the types of plots you're looking for.

Also, your little program would work much better by assuming constant torque (at the engine) rather than constant power. In many modern engines, maximum torque doesn't change by more than 30% or so over most of the operating range.

1. What is a small car simulator?

A small car simulator is a computer program that simulates the experience of driving a small car in a virtual environment. It allows users to interact with a simulated car and experience various road conditions and scenarios.

2. Why would someone want to program a small car simulator in Belgium?

Belgium is known for its challenging road conditions and diverse landscapes, making it an ideal location for testing and developing small car simulators. Additionally, Belgium has a strong automotive industry, making it a prime location for research and development in this field.

3. What programming languages are commonly used for small car simulators?

Some commonly used programming languages for small car simulators include C++, Java, and Python. These languages offer a variety of features and libraries that are well-suited for developing simulations in a realistic and efficient manner.

4. How long does it typically take to program a small car simulator?

The time it takes to program a small car simulator can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the simulation and the experience of the programmer. However, it typically takes several months to a year to develop a fully functional and realistic small car simulator.

5. What are the benefits of programming a small car simulator in Belgium?

Programming a small car simulator in Belgium allows for access to a diverse range of road conditions and environments, providing a more realistic and challenging simulation. Additionally, Belgium's strong automotive industry and research facilities can offer valuable resources and collaboration opportunities for developers.