Carborator adustment screwdriver tool?

• Thread starter terryp
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a 32cc Craftsman weedwacker shutting off when the throttle is pulled. The poster is asking for help in finding the correct tool to adjust the high and low circuit settings on the carburetor and receives suggestions for a hex wrench set and a specialty tool. It is also mentioned that many gas powered yard tools are set too lean and may require professional adjustment.
terryp
Hello, this is my first post in these forums.
I have a 32cc Craftsman weedwacker. When i turn it on, it will stay on for a little while, for about 2, maybe 3 minutes maximum.. When i pull the throttle, it shuts off.

Does anybody know what the correct tool would be to use to adjust the high and low circuit settings on this carborator?

Here is a photo:
3581c279ca91e7e1d2c410bcd5d8cc156372f818914d2066bca15200869c2a896g.jpg

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
terryp, Welcome to Physics Forums!

I used the Google search terms: “craftsman weed whacker 32cc carburetor adjustment”.

I discovered that you have lots of company with the same problem with that same weed whacker.

You may try to adjust the carburetor at:
http://wem.walbro.com/walbro/family.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a straw that comes with a can of expanding foam insulation.

its the two screws with a little hole inside. i need a tool that goes around the outside perimeter of the circle and it needs a little insert piece for the small whole to get the leverage.

i was wondering if anyone knew the name of the specific specialty tool.

Clean it first.

From what I have seen most gas powered yard tools are set so lean that it is difficult to get them to run. Most people get tired of it and take them some place that does those repairs and the carburetor is adjusted and that is that. I suspect it is a way for the manufacturer to pass emissions.

1. What is a carburetor adjustment screwdriver tool?

A carburetor adjustment screwdriver tool is a specialized tool used to adjust the carburetor on a small engine, such as those found in cars, motorcycles, lawn mowers, and other power equipment. It is used to fine-tune the air and fuel mixture that enters the engine, which ultimately affects its performance.

2. How do I know if I need to adjust my carburetor?

If your engine is running too rich (too much fuel), you may notice black smoke coming out of the exhaust, a strong smell of gasoline, or poor fuel economy. If your engine is running too lean (not enough fuel), you may experience hesitation, stalling, or difficulty starting the engine. In these cases, adjusting the carburetor may help improve performance.

3. Can I use any screwdriver to adjust my carburetor?

No, it is important to use a carburetor adjustment screwdriver tool specifically designed for this purpose. Regular screwdrivers may not fit properly and can potentially damage the delicate adjustment screws on the carburetor.

4. How do I use a carburetor adjustment screwdriver tool?

First, locate the carburetor on your engine and identify the adjustment screws. There are typically two screws - one for the idle mixture and one for the high-speed mixture. Insert the screwdriver into the appropriate screw and turn it counterclockwise to enrich the mixture or clockwise to lean it out. Make small adjustments and test the engine's performance until it runs smoothly.

5. Do I need any special skills or knowledge to adjust my carburetor?

While it is always recommended to have some basic knowledge of engine mechanics, adjusting a carburetor can be done by following the instructions in the engine's manual. However, if you are not familiar with engines or unsure about the process, it is best to consult a professional for assistance.