Career transition back into engineering - advice needed

In summary, you are considering going back to school to pursue a Mechanical Engineering Technology degree. You are worried that you will not be able to find a job in the engineering field after completing the program, but you may be able to find a job as a field service engineer, sales engineer, or applications engineer. You may also consider becoming a thermal performance engineer at a power plant.
arokisbobcat
Hi -
I have a question here for the board. Ten years ago I received my Bachelors degree in Industrial Manufacturing and Systems Engineering. Due to economic conditions at the time, I took a job as an analyst and before too long, realized that my career veered down the business path.

I am currently still working as an analyst and have a well paying job, however, it's not where I want to be. By nature, I'm a very active person and would ultimately enjoy a job (any job!) that doesn't require me staring at a computer the entire day. In order to make some changes in my career I have enrolled in a college to pursue a second bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. I actually chose this over the ME program because I wanted to use my hands, to learn to weld, machine and do things I felt would be beneficial for my personal satisfaction.

Here is my question. To complete the program I would probably be looking at 2-3 years of night classes but a part of me says that perhaps I should just take some of the core classes (such as engineering drawing and some MET specific courses) to get my knowledge base up and then market myself as an IE w/ some MET courses under my belt. By doing so, I'll save myself the additional cost of schooling and might be able to jump back into the engineering work force more rapidly. Please provide thoughts if I should approach my education this way or follow through with a secondary bachelors degree. I should also note that I will be attending part time and paying as I go so I won't be taking out a massive loan but learning gradually while holding down my analyst job.

Also, I wanted to ask the board what positions in ME/MET would allow for some type of physical activity? I did a co-op as an IE years ago on a factory floor and absolutely loved the nature of this job compared to my cubicle environment now. A part of me is very interested in Field Service work but I fear that I could find myself being a technician only and not really expanding my knowledge base.

I greatly appreciate all suggestions, thoughts, input, feedback in helping me with my decision and plan...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend following through and finishing the MET degree. Otherwise, it may be difficult to get someone to notice these "continuing education" classes on your resume.

For the away-from-the-desk and hands on, consider:

* field service engineer, start up engineer, sales engineer, or applications engineer (some positions).

* Thermal performance engineer at a power plant. I had this job some time ago. You get to walk down the plant all the time.

* You may also consider getting a position as a "3rd party inspector" which is basically someone hired to inspect machines for another company to far away to see it.

* Another choice may be an ASME Section VIII, Division 1 Authorized Inspector (AI). These individuals visit facilities all over the place and, among other duties, witness pressure testing of "U Stamped" pressure vessels.

Boston University has a program aimed to retrain individuals that are out of college to become engineers:

http://www.bu.edu/eng/academics/special-programs/leap/

The only downside is that you would have to move to Boston if you don't live near it and it costs money.

On the plus side, it is 2-3 years and you leave with a Masters.

Edgepflow,

Thanks for the excellent feedback and advice! Do you have any suggestions for obtaining entry positions into the nuclear industry? Is it a growing sector and what is the best way to position myself to find employment?

I don't know much about the energy areas but it does interest me.

But thanks for your previous post and researching those positions you specified helps me immensely for my career transition and what I hope to be doing after getting my degree.

As a fellow engineer, I understand your desire to transition back into the engineering field and to find a job that aligns more with your interests and values. It's great to hear that you have already taken steps towards this goal by enrolling in a college to pursue a second bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology.

In terms of your question about whether to complete the entire program or just take some core classes, I would recommend speaking with an academic advisor at your college to discuss the benefits and drawbacks of each option. They can provide more specific advice based on your individual situation and goals. However, in general, completing the full program may give you a more well-rounded education and make you more competitive in the job market. On the other hand, taking some core classes may allow you to enter the workforce sooner and start gaining hands-on experience in the field.

In terms of finding a position that allows for physical activity, there are many options in the field of mechanical engineering and technology. Field service work, as you mentioned, is one option, but there are also roles in manufacturing, research and development, and product design that involve hands-on work. Additionally, you could consider seeking out internships or co-op opportunities in these areas to gain more experience and see if they are a good fit for you.

Ultimately, the key is to stay open-minded and explore different opportunities in the engineering field. Don't be afraid to reach out to professionals in the industry to learn more about their experiences and ask for advice. And most importantly, stay committed to your goals and continue to build your skills and knowledge in the field. Best of luck in your career transition!

1. What skills should I focus on when transitioning back into engineering?

When transitioning back into engineering, it is important to focus on honing your technical skills, such as programming languages and software tools, as well as your problem-solving and critical thinking abilities. Additionally, soft skills like communication, teamwork, and adaptability are also highly valued in the engineering field.

2. How can I stay updated with the latest engineering trends and technologies?

To stay updated with the latest trends and technologies in engineering, it is recommended to attend industry conferences, workshops, and webinars. You can also join professional organizations and networking groups to connect with other engineers and learn from their experiences. Additionally, reading industry publications and following thought leaders in your field can also help you stay informed.

3. What are some common challenges I may face when transitioning back into engineering?

Some common challenges when transitioning back into engineering may include a knowledge gap in new technologies, a lack of recent industry experience, and adapting to a different work culture. It is important to be open to learning and be proactive in seeking out resources and opportunities to update your skills and knowledge.

4. How can I make my resume stand out during a career transition?

To make your resume stand out during a career transition, highlight your relevant skills and experiences, even if they are not directly related to engineering. Emphasize transferable skills, such as project management, problem-solving, and leadership, and showcase any engineering-related projects or courses you have completed. Additionally, networking and getting referrals from professionals in the field can also help boost your resume.

5. What are some tips for a successful transition back into engineering?

Some tips for a successful transition back into engineering include networking and building connections in the industry, staying updated with current trends and technologies, continuously learning and updating your skills, and being open to new opportunities and challenges. It is also important to have a positive attitude and be adaptable to change as you navigate your way back into the engineering field.