Caretaker of autistic man shot.

• News
  • Thread starter Averagesupernova
  • Start date
In summary, the police officer in Miami shot an unarmed man and there is outrage. There is evidence that the officer did not have to shoot the man and people are protesting.
Physics news on Phys.org
Unbelievable. Either the cop is a real moron or there is something that went on that isn't shown in the video.

phinds said:
Unbelievable. Either the cop is a real moron or there is something that went on that isn't shown in the video.
In any case: the grip on a gun is by far too easy and happens by far too often in the states.

I have been told yesterday that doctors nationwide are currently going to substitute opioids by more non-addictive medicamentation, because there have been too many fatal cases of drug abuse. On the other side few are apparently concerned about est. 30,000 deaths by gun violence every single year. That is a funeral every 15 minutes 24/7, no holidays.

Last edited:
phinds said:
I thought of this too, about something in that video that is not shown. I thought maybe the guy with the arms up did something stupid. Imagine a guy going for his gun after having the cops in his confidence. However, he did not have a gun. He had his arms up right away. Why would he then do something to provoke the cop? This has become a pretty serious problem in my book. People will throw out all kinds of statistics and comparisons to try to make little of these events. But what needs to be addressed is the PERCEPTION. Ivan Seeking said in another thread:
Because we know what to expect from criminals. But the police are supposed to serve and protect, not kill. It is a systemic failure and a betrayal of the public trust in the most profound sense. It undermines the basis for law and order because no one respects the system as being fair.
And he is correct. This was in response to someone's suggestion of it being a smaller problem than civilians killing each other. We have been told since we were small that the cop is our friend. Do people really believe this anymore after current events? This alone is a serious problem.

Averagesupernova said:
We have been told since we were small that the cop is our friend.
I was, but I'm pretty sure that isn't universally true. Particularly if you aren't just talking about your/our parents.
Do people really believe this anymore after current events?
Yes.

Likes mheslep
I cannot say I trust law enforcement any less than before because my opinion was pretty low to start with due to several friends and acquaintances run-ins with the law in the past. I'm not talking about a cops attitude or something like this. I am talking about planting evidence and things of this nature. I won't drag that into this thread but it shows how my distrust for law enforcement was established. While I have always had a distrust for cops, what is happening lately is a new low. This is my point about perception.

Looks like complete tunnel vision to the "threat" of a suicidal man with a gun. Every action no matter how innocent by these two men were seen as reinforcing that perception. The man who was shot was a hero to the young man with autism and maybe saved a life that day.

Yes, I trust the police, I'm not calling a crackhead when I need help. No amount of training and simulation can stop some people from making bad decisions when they fear for their lives. The current atmosphere of police ambush murders weekly doesn't help.

I've lately seen a video that has been taken after a police chase in Nashua (NH). The driver of a car left it, got on his knees with his hands up and then lays down on the street. Then six cops came and severely walloped the man lying on the street. No matter what might have happened before, there is no justification for this kind of brutality after a suspect's surrender. And I know of a police department in NM which is under federal surveillance because of such methods. It is becoming harder and harder to have sympathy for American cops. Of course I know that those examples are the ones which make it to the news. They shouldn't occur anyway. And since nearly everybody can make small video recordings, such instances can be seen on a weekly basis. Sorry, but this is far too many.

Likes Averagesupernova
Averagesupernova said:
... We have been told since we were small that the cop is our friend. Do people really believe this anymore after current events?
Current events and particular events that are publicized are two different things. And yes.

In the locked thread someone pointed out how much more careful they would be during a traffic stop. I share that opinion. So, it IS making a difference. Again, perceptions.

1. What happened in the incident involving the caretaker of the autistic man being shot?

On July 18, 2016, a 26-year-old caretaker of an autistic man was shot by a police officer in North Miami, Florida. The caretaker, Charles Kinsey, was helping his patient who had wandered away from a group home and was playing with a toy truck. Police responded to a call about a man with a gun and mistakenly believed the toy truck was a weapon. Kinsey was shot in the leg while trying to explain the situation to the officers.

2. Was the caretaker intentionally shot by the police officer?

No, it does not appear that the police officer intentionally shot the caretaker. The officer claimed that he was aiming for the patient with the toy truck, who he believed was a threat. However, the officer's actions are still under investigation and it is unclear whether the shooting was justified.

3. Was the caretaker armed or a threat to the officers?

No, the caretaker was not armed and did not pose a threat to the officers. He was trying to calm down his patient and explain the situation to the officers. The toy truck that the patient was playing with was not a weapon and the caretaker had his hands up in the air, showing that he was not a threat.

4. What were the consequences of the shooting for the caretaker and the police officer?

The caretaker, Charles Kinsey, suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and was taken to the hospital for treatment. He was later released and is expected to make a full recovery. The police officer who shot him has been placed on administrative leave and is under investigation for his actions.

5. Has this incident sparked any changes or reforms in police training and procedures?

Yes, this incident has sparked a national conversation about police training and procedures, particularly in regards to interacting with individuals with disabilities. In response to this incident, the North Miami Police Department implemented new training programs on crisis intervention and dealing with individuals with disabilities. Additionally, there have been calls for more widespread adoption of training programs and reforms to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future.