Carnot Engine Work Output w/Monatomic Gas: 288K to 497K

QC, and then you can use the work equation to find the net work.In summary, a Carnot engine operating between two temperatures, 288K and 497K, performs 800 J of net work. To find the heat absorbed and released, as well as the efficiency of the engine, the equation Q = nRT ln (V final/V initial) can be used. For a Carnot engine, the efficiency is given by \eta = \frac{W}{Q_H}=1 - \frac{T_C}{T_H}. Using this equation, QH and QC can be found, and then the net work can be calculated.
brockjensen

Homework Statement

A Carnot engine working with a monatomic gas operating between two temps, 288K and 497K. The engine performs 800 J of net work.

Homework Equations

Q = nRT ln (V final/V initial)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have enough info for the above equation. I know I am missing something just not sure what.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you to find?

rock.freak667 said:
What are you to find?

Sorry, that would have been helpful.

Need to find heat absorbed and heat released, also efficiency, but I think I got that one

Yeah that would be helpful huh?

Need to find heat absorbed and heat released, also efficiency but I think I figured that out.

You should know that for a Carnot engine, the efficiency is given by

[tex]\eta = \frac{W}{Q_H}=1 - \frac{T_C}{T_H}[/tex]

Now that you know this, I think you can easily find QH

Related to Carnot Engine Work Output w/Monatomic Gas: 288K to 497K

What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the Carnot cycle, which is a reversible cycle of four processes involving two thermodynamic reservoirs. It is considered the most efficient engine possible, as it operates with the maximum possible efficiency for a given temperature difference between the two reservoirs.

What is the work output of a Carnot engine?

The work output of a Carnot engine can be calculated using the formula W = Q(H) - Q(C), where Q(H) is the heat absorbed from the hot reservoir and Q(C) is the heat released to the cold reservoir. The work output is dependent on the temperature difference between the two reservoirs and the efficiency of the engine.

Can a Carnot engine work with any type of gas?

Yes, a Carnot engine can work with any type of gas. However, the efficiency of the engine will depend on the type of gas used and its specific heat capacity.

What is the temperature range for a Carnot engine with a monatomic gas?

The temperature range for a Carnot engine with a monatomic gas is from 288K to 497K. This range is determined by the temperatures of the two reservoirs used in the Carnot cycle.

Why is a Carnot engine with a monatomic gas more efficient than one with a polyatomic gas?

A Carnot engine with a monatomic gas is more efficient than one with a polyatomic gas because monatomic gases have a higher specific heat capacity at constant volume, which allows for a greater temperature difference between the two reservoirs. This results in a higher efficiency for the engine.