Maximizing Efficiency in Tandem Carnot Engines

In summary, the two carnot engines operating in tandem will have a lower efficiency than a single carnot engine going from a cold reservoir of temperature Tc to a hot reservoir of temperature Th.
mopar969
Please help with the following:
Prove that the efficiency of two carnot engines operating in tandem, one going from a cold reservoir of temperature Tc to a hot reservoir of Ti, then the second going from a cold reservoir of temperature Ti, to a hot reservoir of temperature Th must be less than that of a single carnot engine going from Tc to Th.

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you find the efficiency of a single carnot engine?

mopar969 said:
Please help with the following:
Prove that the efficiency of two carnot engines operating in tandem, one going from a cold reservoir of temperature Tc to a hot reservoir of Ti, then the second going from a cold reservoir of temperature Ti, to a hot reservoir of temperature Th must be less than that of a single carnot engine going from Tc to Th.
The proof cannot be given - because it is not true. Are you sure you are not being asked to prove that the overall efficiency of the two Carnot engines operating in tandem must be equal to the efficiency of the single Carnot engine?

AM

That is the problem I was given in class so maybe he ment to prove what you said. Either way please assists. Thanks.

mopar969 said:
That is the problem I was given in class so maybe he ment to prove what you said. Either way please assists. Thanks.

Since you said "tandem", it is two Carnot engines in series.
It's interesting how many times this question has been asked here at the forum. There was even one person that asked about an infinite number of Carnot engines in series.

I just spent 3 hours trying to figure out the answer to your question. Then blink! I love those lightbulb moments.

But anyways, you have to show that you've done some work on the problem. To paraphrase rock.freak667, what is the equation for Carnot engine efficiency?

I have gotten some help from a friend and this is are work for the problem please let me know if we did something wrong or if this is the correct answer? My question is why did we multiply the two engines though how would you know to do that?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 624
Is my work correct?

mopar969 said:
Is my work correct?

You've found the equation for Carnot efficiency. That is correct. But your image is such that I cannot read the subscripts, so I cannot comment on whether or not the conclusion of the image is correct.

I'm a bit senile, so this is just hearsay now, but I believe that I came to the same conclusion as Andrew Mason last weekend. You cannot prove your given OP, because it is not true.

Prove that the efficiency of two carnot engines operating in tandem... must be less than that of a single carnot engine...

I ran some theoretical numbers in order to get a grasp of the problem, and I think that's why it took me so long to solve. It struck me as peculiar that lowering the operating temperature of the engine, with the same delta T, increased it's efficiency.

one engine
Th = 400K Tc = 300K efficiency = 25%

two engines in tandem
Th = 400K Tc = 350K efficiency = 12.5%
Th = 350K Tc = 300K efficiency = 14.3%

It made it look like an infinite series of tandem Carnot engines might improve efficiency to unheard of levels!

But it's a matter of understanding what heat is, and it's relationship to temperature, that solved the problem. Not yours mind you, but mine.

And it didn't hurt that I discovered a cool google feature last week.

google: site:physicsforums.com carnot efficiency

It's an oft asked, and many times unanswered question. :smile:

Sorry the pic was fuzzy. Using substitution for n1 and n2 into n3 I found n3 = Th/Ti (n1)+ n2. The last line says Tk>Ti therefore n3 > n1+n2. My friend came to this conclusion but I am confused with how he got that?

mopar969 said:
Sorry the pic was fuzzy. Using substitution for n1 and n2 into n3 I found n3 = Th/Ti (n1)+ n2. The last line says Tk>Ti therefore n3 > n1+n2. My friend came to this conclusion but I am confused with how he got that?

I'm sorry too. Without seeing all of the subscripts, I can't explain why n3 > n1+n2.

In your image, it looks as though you've written the efficiency of engine two = 1 - Tk/Ti

But then you stated that Tk>Ti

The equation for carnot efficiency is 1-Tcold/Thot

You've implied that engine 2 has an efficiency of 1-Thot/Tcold, which is wrong.

I though that the equation for the second carnot engine is 1- Th/Ti because the second engine is going from a cold reservoir to a hot reservoir?

mopar969 said:
I though that the equation for the second carnot engine is 1- Th/Ti because the second engine is going from a cold reservoir to a hot reservoir?

The cold reservoir from the 1st engine is going as the hot reservoir to the second engine. The second engine then rejects heat to some other cold reservoir.

mopar969 said:

After looking at your blurry subscripts a second time, I've decided that all of your equations are backwards.

I thought the where the engine is working from goes on the bottom of the fraction and where it is going to goes on top of the fraction for a Carnot engine equation. If this is not correct then what equations should I have to finish this problem and how do I finish it?

mopar969 said:
I thought the where the engine is working from goes on the bottom of the fraction and where it is going to goes on top of the fraction for a Carnot engine equation. If this is not correct then what equations should I have to finish this problem and how do I finish it?

Rewrite them all:

OmCheeto said:
The equation for carnot efficiency is 1-Tcold/Thot

Okay so for engine one the cold reservoir is tc and the hot is Ti so n1 = 1- Tc/Ti
for n2 the cold is ti and the hot is th so n2 = 1 - ti/th
for n3 the cold is tc and the hot is th so n3 = 1 - tc/th

through subbing n1 and n2 into n3 I got n3 = n1 + tc/ti n2

Now what do I do? thanks for all the help much appreciated.

Start with an arbitrary amount of heat flow, Qh, from the hot reservoir and follow it through: eg. The heat flow to the intermediate reservoir is Qi = Qh(Ti/Th) and the work done is Qh-Qi = Qh(1-Ti/Th).

Qi then is the input for the second engine so the heat flow to the cold reservoir is Qc = Qi(Tc/Ti) = Qh(Ti/Th)(Tc/Ti) = Qh(Tc/Th). The work done in the second engine is Qi-Qc = Qi(1-Tc/Ti).

The total work is the sum of the work for each engine. The total heat flow in is Qh so determine the overall efficiency of the two engine system. It is the same as for the single Carnot engine.

AM

I was wondering why my old method for solving the problem won't work?

Here is the answers I have so far:
Okay so for engine one the cold reservoir is tc and the hot is Ti so n1 = 1- Tc/Ti
for n2 the cold is ti and the hot is th so n2 = 1 - ti/th
for n3 the cold is tc and the hot is th so n3 = 1 - tc/th

through subbing n1 and n2 into n3 I got n3 = n1 + tc/ti n2.
Then, tc > ti therefore n3 > n1 + n2.

Is this correct?

Is my reasoning correct?

mopar969 said:
Is my reasoning correct?

Apparently not, since neither AM nor I agree with your conclusion.

I wouldn't put all that much weight in my opinion, but I've seen AM's explanations in the other 15 Carnot engine threads. He groks Carnot. Trust him.

Okay but AM says it is the same as for a single engine I need to show that the single engine is greater than the two according the the problem.

Last edited:
So is this problem not solvable the engines are the same?

mopar969 said:
So is this problem not solvable the engines are the same?

Why not put some actual numbers into the equations you came up with and find out.
mopar969 said:
n3 = 1 - tc/th
n3 = n1 + tc/ti n2.
Here, use mine:

one engine
Th = 400K Tc = 300K efficiency = 25%

two engines in tandem
Th = 400K Ti = 350K efficiency = 12.5%
Ti = 350K Tc = 300K efficiency = 14.3%

OmCheeto said:
Why not put some actual numbers into the equations you came up with and find out.

Here, use mine:
Ok. I am not sure what is wrong with algebra. But let's use numbers.

[tex]W = Q_h\eta_1 + Q_h(1-\eta_1)\eta_2 = Q_h(\eta_1 + \eta_2 - \eta_1\eta_2)[/tex]

Using your numbers:

[tex]W = Q_h(.125 +.143 - .143 \times .125) = Q_h(.125 + .125) = Q_h(.25)[/tex]

[tex]\eta = W/Qh = .25[/tex]

AM

Also the carnot problem I posted the professor told me to do (1 - (tc/ti))(1-(ti/th)). So I am factoring that now but what do I do after I factor it.

1. What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical engine that operates on the Carnot cycle, which is a thermodynamic cycle that describes the most efficient way to convert heat into work. It consists of a heat source, a heat sink, and a working fluid that undergoes a series of reversible processes to produce work.

2. How does a Carnot engine achieve maximum efficiency?

A Carnot engine achieves maximum efficiency by operating between two temperature extremes and undergoing reversible processes. The efficiency of a Carnot engine is given by the ratio of the temperature difference between the heat source and heat sink to the temperature of the heat source.

3. What is the formula for calculating the efficiency of a Carnot engine?

The formula for calculating the efficiency of a Carnot engine is efficiency = (temperature of heat source - temperature of heat sink) / temperature of heat source. This is known as the Carnot efficiency equation.

4. How does the efficiency of a Carnot engine compare to other engines?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is always higher than the efficiency of any other engine operating between the same two temperature extremes. This is due to the fact that it operates on the reversible Carnot cycle, which is the most efficient thermodynamic cycle.

5. What are some real-life applications of Carnot engines?

Although Carnot engines are theoretical, the concept of maximum efficiency is used in real-life applications such as refrigerators and heat pumps. These devices use the reverse Carnot cycle to transfer heat from a colder region to a hotter region, which requires work to be done. The efficiency of these devices can be improved by increasing the temperature difference between the two regions.