1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian equation of the plane through the given points

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For each part, find the cartesian equation of the plane through the given points.
    (1,0,3), (2,-4,3),(4,-1,2)

3. The attempt at a solution

No attempt. Dunno how to do :(

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Haven't been paying attention in class?:tongue: Use two pairs of those points to get two vectors in the plane: the vector from [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] to [itex](x_1, y_1, z_1)[/itex] is [itex](x_1- x_0)\vec{i}+ (y_1- y_0)\vec{j}+ (z_1- z_0)\vec{k}[/itex].

The cross product of two vectors is perpendicular to the two vectors so perpendicular to the plane they lie in.

The equation of a plane with normal vector [itex]A\vec{i}+ B\vec{j}+ C\vec{k}[/itex] containing point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] is [itex]A(x- x_0)+ B(y- y_0)+ C(z- z_0)= 0[/itex].

4. May 14, 2012 #3
    I did listen in class but the lecturer only gave notes to copy during class and there is no example given in the notes so that is why. Anyway, I managed to solved it. Thanks a lot sir.. Really appreciate it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook