1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding cartesian equation of plane

1. Jun 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    determine the Cartesian equation of the plane through the points (3,0,1) and (0,1,-1) and perpendicular to the plane with equation x-y-z+1 = 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I know the normal of the plane (a,b,c) dotted with (1,-1,-1) = 0 which gives me a-b-c=0
    but other than that Im stuck

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You need to write out the description in terms of the maths.
    You know the standard form for the cartesian equation of the plane (or the vetor form - whichever you are most comfortable with). So write it out.

That equation has to satisfy some conditions - write out what those mean.

i.e. point (3,0,1) is on the plane - so if you put x=3, y=0, z=1 into the equation, how does it come out?

The rest is simultaneous equations.

4. Jun 18, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

(a, b, c).(0, 1,-1)= b- c= 0 so you know b= c. The equation must be of the form a(x- 3)+ by+ b(z- 1)= 0 and you know that x= 0, y= 1, z= -1 must satisfy that: -3a+ b- 2b= 0. Of course, any multiple of (a, b, c) will give the same plane so you can take either a or b to be whatever you like.

5. Jun 18, 2014 #4
    Ok, thanks

6. Jun 18, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Lucky person you - HoI does not normally do people's homework for them...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted