1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cartesian to Polar in Double Integral

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve:
    [tex]\iint_{\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2} \leq 1} \sqrt{1-\frac{x^2}{a^2}-\frac{y^2}{b^2}} dx dy [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Cartesian to Polar

3. The attempt at a solution

Well - this Integral should be solved as a polar function (the radical should be [tex]\sqrt{1-r^2}ab[/tex] when expressed in polar coordinates. I just can't get this right. Guidance please?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the radical is NOT of that form in polar coordinates. But you can modify the coordinate system to "elliptic coordinates". Let [itex]x= r a cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= r a sin(\theta)[/itex]. Then [itex]x^2/a^2= r^2 cos^2(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y^2/b^2= r^2 sin^2(\theta)[/itex]. You will need to use the Jacobian to get the correct differential dx dy is not just "[itex]r dr d\theta[/itex]" now.

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    ok, so maybe the "ab" is part of the differential. I guess that it comes from the Jacobian, which I have no idea how to use.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook