Solve Castigiliano Method for Continuous Beam Problem

• Thread starter Zouatine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a continuous beam ABC simply supported and loaded with a distributed load q. The length of the beam is 2L and the problem aims to find the reactions using the Castigliano method. The equations used are U=(1/2EI)∫M^2 dx and dU/dP=d with the energy equation being integrated from 0 to L and from L to 2L. There is a discussion about sign conventions and how to find the energy equation using the formula du/df=(1/EI)*∫M*(dM/df) dx. The conversation ends with a clarification on the chain rule of differentiation.
Zouatine

Homework Statement

Problem:
a continuous beam ABC simply presses, loaded with a distributed load q, the length of the beam is 2L.
EI=constant
840411898.png

find the reactions in the beam ,we use Castigiliano method.

Homework Equations

- U=(1/2EI)∫M^2 dx (U: Energy)
- dU/dP=d (d: displacement)

The Attempt at a Solution

first we have 3 reactions (Ra,Rb,Rc) in the supports.
∑F=0→ Ra+Rb+Rc=ql
∑M/A=0 → Rb+2Rc=3ql/2
for the moment flexing : 0≤x<L
- M(x)= -Ra*x .
L≤x<2L
M(x)=-Ra*x+Rb*(x-L)-(qL/2)*(x-L)^2
my problem is how to find the energy equation??
Thanx.

Attachments

• 840411898.png
    840411898.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have some sign inconsistency.
In your force balance you have Ra and Rb with the same sign, but in the torque balance they have opposite signs.
What is your sign convention?

To get the energy, you have to integrate (M2/(2EI)).dx no?

First thanks for your answer Sir ,
I made a mistake ∑F=0→ -Ra+Rb+Rc=ql
- the positive sense for the moment is the clockwise.
yes I know to get energy I have to integrate (M^2/(2EI)).dx , but it's complicated to integrate from 0 to L M^2/(2EI);dx with (M(x)=-Ra*x and from L to 2L M^2/(2EI) with M(x)=-Ra*x+Rb*(x-L)-(qL/2)*(x-L)^2 .
I saw in some document this formula :du/df=(1/EI)*∫M*(dM/df) dx (f: force) but I do not know how they are found that.
thanx

Zouatine said:
this formula :du/df=(1/EI)*∫M*(dM/df) dx
That is obtained from the first formula simply by differentiating wrt f. Because the integration bounds are fixed, you can simply differentiate through the integral sign as though it wasn't there. You then use the chain rule to get from d(M2)/df to 2M dM/df.

Can you find dM/df?

thanx, so to find dM/df , I choose Ra so,
1- dM/dRa =-x
2- dM/dRa =-x
and after that
du/dRa=(1/EI)*∫(-x*Ra)*(-x) dx+(1/EI)*∫(-x*Ra+Rb*(x-L)-(qL/2)*(x-L)^2)*(-x) dx =0
with (0<x<L) and in second (L<x<2L).
and I find Ra in this equation, just one more question about this du/df=(1/EI)*∫M*(dM/df) dx
Mf (x) it is according to f , when we drift : we find this 2Mf(x) * dMf(x)/df
thanx sir

Zouatine said:
Mf (x) it is according to f , when we drift : we find this 2Mf(x) * dMf(x)/df
Sorry, I don't understand your question. What is "Mf(x)"? If you mean literally M multiplied by f(x), I do not see any f that is a function of x. If you mean M as a function if f and x, that would be written M=M(f,x).

Sorry. My english is not good my question was how you found this :
d(M^2)/df =2M* dM/df

thanx , Sir

1. How does the Castigiliano method work for solving continuous beam problems?

The Castigiliano method is a mathematical technique used to solve structural engineering problems, including continuous beam problems. It involves finding the partial derivative of the total potential energy with respect to a specific unknown displacement. By setting this derivative to zero and solving for the unknown displacement, the equilibrium equations can be satisfied and the problem can be solved.

2. What are the advantages of using the Castigiliano method for continuous beam problems?

The Castigiliano method allows for the analysis of complex structural systems, such as continuous beams with multiple supports, without needing to solve a large system of equations. It also takes into account the effects of geometric nonlinearity and material nonlinearity, making it a more accurate approach for solving structural problems.

3. What are the limitations of the Castigiliano method for continuous beam problems?

While the Castigiliano method is a powerful tool for solving structural problems, it does have some limitations. It assumes small displacements and linear material behavior, which may not always accurately represent real-world structures. It also requires knowledge of the potential energy of the system, which can be difficult to determine for more complex structures.

4. How does the Castigiliano method compare to other methods for solving continuous beam problems?

The Castigiliano method is just one of many techniques used to solve structural problems. It is often compared to the finite element method, which involves discretizing a structure into smaller elements and solving a large system of equations. The Castigiliano method can be more efficient for simpler structures, but the finite element method may be more accurate for more complex systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Castigiliano method for continuous beam problems?

Yes, the Castigiliano method is widely used in structural engineering for analyzing and designing various types of structures, including bridges, buildings, and industrial facilities. It is particularly useful for solving problems involving statically indeterminate structures, where traditional methods may be impractical or inaccurate.