Cat & Mouse Chase: Who Will Win?

• Thread starter iceman632
  • Start date
In summary, the cat will always win the game of catch because it is moving twice as fast as the mouse.
iceman632
Long ago, I stumbled across the following problem:
Assume we have a square with length of the of 1 located in the origin of the coordinate system. Let's have a mouse in the origin (0, 0), too. Let's have a cat in the neighbor corner (1, 0). This is at the time t = 0-.

At t=0+, both cat and mouse start moving. Mouse always moves along y-axis with constant veocity v << 1. Thus, after some finite time tm = 1 / v it will finish its journey in (0, 1). The mouse "wins" if it comes there before

Cat, however, wants to stop it in achieving this. It is moving twice as fast (2 * v) and is always moving towards the mouse. That is, vector vc of the cat's speed is always directed to the (0, ym), where ym is the current position of the mouse. If the cat catches a mouse, it, of course, "wins" the game.

Who will win?

It's not a life matter, but I would really like to find the solution to this. I tried some computer simulation and got some results, but I need some kind of mathematical-only proof. Thanks for any replies!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Let y(x) be the curve in the xy-plane traced out by the cat.
Hence, the cat's position vector as a function of time is (x(t),y(x(t)))

2. Set up the info you've got, and remember that we have [itex]\frac{dt}{dx}=\frac{1}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/itex] when changing independent variables.

3. You should get a 2.order diff eq for y.
4. As a further exercise, find out how the golden ratio is related to this problem..:wink:

Last edited:
I will surely look into this solution. However, I really thought that I would avoid differential equations... :frown: Seems like this is impossible in real life.

Thank you very much for your reply and all the best in New 2006!

Yes, it is generally impossible to avoid differential equations in motion problems!

Related to Cat & Mouse Chase: Who Will Win?

1. How does the game "Cat & Mouse Chase" work?

The game "Cat & Mouse Chase" is a simple game where one player takes on the role of a cat and the other player takes on the role of a mouse. The cat's goal is to catch the mouse, while the mouse's goal is to avoid being caught. The players take turns moving their pieces on a game board, and the cat can only move horizontally and vertically while the mouse can move in any direction. The game ends when the cat catches the mouse or when the mouse reaches a designated safe spot.

2. Is there a strategy to win the game?

Yes, there are various strategies that can increase your chances of winning in "Cat & Mouse Chase". As the cat, it is important to block the mouse's path and anticipate its moves. As the mouse, it is important to use the entire game board and try to stay at a safe distance from the cat. It is also helpful to keep track of the cat's movements and plan your own moves accordingly.

3. How many players can participate in "Cat & Mouse Chase"?

The game "Cat & Mouse Chase" can be played with two players, but it can also be played with more players by having them take turns playing the roles of the cat and mouse. However, the game may become more challenging with more players.

4. Can the game be played on different types of game boards?

Yes, "Cat & Mouse Chase" can be played on different types of game boards, as long as they have a grid-like pattern. This allows for more creativity and customization in the game.

5. Is "Cat & Mouse Chase" a game of luck or skill?

"Cat & Mouse Chase" is a game of both luck and skill. The initial placement of the pieces and the roll of the dice determine the starting positions and movements, but strategy and decision-making also play a significant role in the outcome of the game.