Catastrophic engine failure on Flight UA328

In summary, United Airlines Flight 328 suffered an engine failure which caused the aircraft to be forced to return to the airport. The pilots were able to land the aircraft safely with no further incident.
Likes Astronuc
Physics news on Phys.org
Tom.G said:
International Journal of Fatigue

What a great title!

• Haha
Likes Twigg and Klystron
trainman2001 said:
Gearing solves one problem, but does add more mechanical stuff that can fail.
Yes. Like the gearbox failures on helicopters that has caused the whole rotor to come off:

In a turbofan i guess that will be the whole fan axle shearing off and the fan shooting forward and out of the cowling and it can then hit the fuselage or wing and make a lot of damage. Seems to me to be a much bigger safety risk than a fan blade coming off and generally being contained in the engine and spit out the rear.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
NDI Process Failures Preceded Boeing 777 PW4077 Fan Blade Off (FBO) Event
UA328 was the third such event.

http://aerossurance.com/safety-management/ndi-failures-b777-pw4077-fbo/

Edit: I had some discussion at work about a more robust NDE method. One of the experts seemed to think a visual examination of the fan blades was possible. Frankly, I don't see that is the case. Does anyone know if it is possible to visually inspect the inner surface of the follow fan blade? Otherwise, one has to rely on a thermoacoustic method. Can that be applied in situ, or does it require removing the fan blades?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_acoustic_imaging (P&W developed a method).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes DaveE
Klystron said:
If the flight was non-stop from Denver to Honolulu, the Boeing 777 likely carried maximum fuel. Aside from the exposed flames, as questioned above, the time and pumping required to jettison fuel coupled with Denver altitude and return distance to airport likely contraindicated dumping fuel.

United Airline quite lucky in that ~3/4 of the route DEN to HNL extends over open ocean. Incredibly lucky that engine debris fell on land, so recoverable, without any known injuries or related damage.
It's unlikely that they had maximum fuel - DEN-HNL is only about 3000 nautical miles, way short of the 777-200's 5120 nautical mile range. They may have been up near maximum takeoff weight when this occurred, but if they were, that would be due to cargo, not due to fuel (aircraft are, in general, unable to take both maximum fuel and maximum cargo at the same time, so anytime they don't need full fuel, they prefer to not take it to allow more room for cargo and/or to allow the aircraft to be lighter and more efficient).

I'm a little afraid to fly. It started when I read the book, I don’t remember what it’s called and who wrote it, but I remember the plot very well. It described the inspection of a Boeing 737 before the flight. I learned from this book that there are different levels of validation. The bottom line is that the engineer, while checking the plane, did not notice a microcrack, because of which the plane was torn to pieces in the sky. I honestly didn’t google the truth it happens or it’s just a fictional fairy tale for a book. But now, every time on the plane, I worry about inattention, myself and other passengers.
I would be glad to hear your opinion and I hope that I'm just winding myself up:smile:

Hayley Mann said:
The bottom line is that the engineer, while checking the plane, did not notice a microcrack, because of which the plane was torn to pieces in the sky.
That is true. The pilot crew and maintenance crews did not look carefully at the fuselage. A passenger on the flight noticed a crack(s), but did not mention anything, because she did not want to appear alarmist. The plane was a 737, and the flight was Aloha Airlines Flight 243 on April 28, 1988. The pilots did an extraordinary job in landing the plane. "The safe landing of the aircraft established the incident as a significant event in the history of aviation, with far-reaching effects on aviation safety policies and procedures."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243
https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/AAR8903.aspx
https://www.faa.gov/about/initiativ...200.n73711.near_maui.hawaii.april_28.1988.pdf

It is important to realize that the accident was 33 years ago, and improvements have been made in aircraft design, maintenance, operation and safety. The aircraft was used in frequent short duration (basically commuter) flights. I believe it had one of the highest number (89,680) of flight cycles (takeoff and landings) of any aircraft, which lead to fatigue cracking. It was noticeable near the front passenger door, but obviously, those responsible didn't notice. As a result, maintenance practices were changed.

I often check along the fuselage and around the passenger door when boarding a plane. I also look at the engines and wings.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman, Klystron and Vanadium 50
Astronuc said:
It is important to realize that the accident was 33 years ago, and improvements have been made in aircraft design, maintenance, operation and safety

This.

Astronuc said:
As a result, maintenance practices were changed.

Most significantly, these inspections were no longer conducted at night. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Likes Klystron
Astronuc said:
A passenger on the flight noticed a crack(s), but did not mention anything, because she did not want to appear alarmist.
Even if she had mentioned it to the flight attendants I seriously doubt anything would have been done about it. After watching some air crash investigations it is pretty clear that the flight attendants have absolutely no knowledge of the plane, and their only job is to just try to calm down the passenger no matter what he or she try to point out. Like passengers pointing out engine fires and the air attendant just says it is totally normal and nothing to worry about. Or passengers pointing out a BIG tear of the wing and the flight attendant just say "that is just the flaps, nothing to worry about" (flaps out mid flight?). And the passenger have to call the flight attendant over MANY times and be extremely insisting until finally they give up and tell the pilot to check it out.

• Wow
Likes Keith_McClary
Many years ago my sister was on a flight that had to make an unscheduled stop for maintenance, something to do with cabin pressure that caused a couple of windows to fog up. This was to be a short delay while a sensor or other small part was replaced.

After de-planing, she was in a conversation with a stewardess and mentioned that many/all of the windows were hot to the touch. Fortunately the stewardess was knowledgeable enough to know this was important and passed it on to 'higher authority.'

Soon, all the passengers had a hotel room for the night while further repairs were done.

The following day, during reboarding, the stewardess thanked her for reporting the hot windows. Much of the cabin air system had failed and was replaced. If the flight had continued the previous day, there would have been many deaths from hypoxia.

Take away: If you see something, say something!

Cheers,
Tom

• Love
Likes berkeman, Astronuc and Klystron
Tom.G said:
Take away: If you see something, say something!
Yes! Especially these days. If something doesn't look right, then one should speak up.

If I saw something, as an engineer, I'd speak up, and I'd speak with the pilot rather than crew, or if I had to encounter the crew first, I'd ask to speak with the pilot.

In the case of the Aloha 737, it was apparently quite evident that cracks were visible at the line of rivets. Back in 1988, airline crews might have been less inclined to heed concerns of the public. My understanding that this has changed over the decades.

Approaching Atlanta late 1970's in a Lockheed L-1011 wide-body transport with another USAF member when things became rather dicey on the sparsely populated flight. Anticipating bad weather we had asked the senior flight attendant, obviously a seasoned professional, which seats to take for the most comfort. Without hesitation she seated us in the rear of the aircraft across from the crew's seats.

The L-1011 had an unusual 'tristar' configuration with a large rear engine. Our rearmost seats lacked headroom not compensated by the engine noise. As night fell a major storm developed and the reports from the first officer over the intercom became ominous. Even old hands were seen reviewing emergency directions provided at each seat. The flight attendants strapped in on orders from the FO; the Captain fully engaged in piloting that beast in a terrific tailwind.

That landing, the last before the hurricane closed ATL, sticks in my memory as the most outrageous I have ever experienced even in storms and missile attacks in Southeast Asia during the war. The lightning flashed purple through the ports, illuminating our strained faces. I thought my head would crash through the overhead as the transport bucked and side slipped. I swear, the landing gear bottomed out on touchdown as we bounced, not rolled, to a stop.

Deplaning on shaky legs, the entire crew bid us passengers farewell and good luck amid fervid compliments to the pilots and crew. The senior flight attendant, cool and composed, remarked in a mid-Western accent, "Now boys, was that enough excitement for ya?"

• Haha
Likes Astronuc and berkeman
Klystron said:
Approaching Atlanta late 1970's in a Lockheed L-1011 wide-body transport with another USAF member when things became rather dicey on the sparsely populated flight. Anticipating bad weather we had asked the senior flight attendant, obviously a seasoned professional, which seats to take for the most comfort. Without hesitation she seated us in the rear of the aircraft across from the crew's seats.

The L-1011 had an unusual 'tristar' configuration with a large rear engine. Our rearmost seats lacked headroom not compensated by the engine noise. As night fell a major storm developed and the reports from the first officer over the intercom became ominous. Even old hands were seen reviewing emergency directions provided at each seat. The flight attendants strapped in on orders from the FO; the Captain fully engaged in piloting that beast in a terrific tailwind.

That landing, the last before the hurricane closed ATL, sticks in my memory as the most outrageous I have ever experienced even in storms and missile attacks in Southeast Asia during the war. The lightning flashed purple through the ports, illuminating our strained faces. I thought my head would crash through the overhead as the transport bucked and side slipped. I swear, the landing gear bottomed out on touchdown as we bounced, not rolled, to a stop.

Deplaning on shaky legs, the entire crew bid us passengers farewell and good luck amid fervid compliments to the pilots and crew. The senior flight attendant, cool and composed, remarked in a mid-Western accent, "Now boys, was that enough excitement for ya?"
Odd that they wouldn't have seated you closer to the center of mass.

I argued the exact same thing. Sit near the pivot point. But:

We were in uniform IMS. The unpopular war had just ended. Also, while I was married, one of the attendants was flirting with the other NCO on the aisle whom she engaged in talk. Upon reflection, that flight may have been crowded due to other passengers missing flights. USAF MAC long distance transports often had few passengers but this was Delta Airlines IIRC.

Likes DaveE
Klystron said:
Without hesitation she seated us in the rear of the aircraft...

DaveE said:
Odd that they wouldn't have seated you closer to the center of mass.
Not at all odd.

During an uncontrolled contact with the ground, there supposedly is a survival advantage to have all available crushable material in front of you.

And some/many of those cabin-crew seats are rear facing, backed against the bulkhead to the passenger area.

I would certainly opt for that!

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes Klystron and berkeman
Out of curiosity, how do you tell the difference post mortem between fatigue and a blunt force pigeon at mach 0.8? I feel like that's the kind of question that decides who has to pay a lot of money.

Klystron said:
Incredibly lucky that engine debris fell on land, so recoverable, without any known injuries or related damage.

I'm not far from places where debris was found. I checked the lawn just in case, but didn't find any bits of aerospace-grade unobtanium to play with :frown: (Not that I wouldn't have reported it, just horsing around)

Twigg said:
Out of curiosity, how do you tell the difference post mortem between fatigue and a blunt force pigeon at mach 0.8?
Pigeon guts/blood?

Likes Klystron and Twigg
Ok, I feel a little silly not putting that one together lol. Thanks!

Twigg said:
difference post mortem between fatigue and a blunt force pigeon
Besides bird remains, a fatigue crack has a unique pattern of striations, usually propagating from an inclusion or some internal/surface defect finally reaching a critical crack size and rupture, whereas a catastrophic fraction would not have the striations but a ductile fracture. There would be some plastic deformation of the blade as well. One blade failed near the root, while the blade following in the rotation was struck by the first failed blade and broke about half-length. The second blade would have fractured from impact with the first blade.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff, Klystron, berkeman and 2 others