Category Theory Used in Physics.

In summary, a question was asked about using category theory in physics, with the conversation discussing different opinions on the definition of a category and its applications in various fields such as conformal field theory, algebraic and geometric structures, and string theory. The use of category theory in mathematics and other disciplines was also mentioned.
Sportin' Life
I just have a quick, but odd question. Next term I will be taking a Category Theory class with a visiting professor from Moscow. The professor is known to have done most of his work in Physics. Does anyone have any experience using results from Category Theory applied to Physics?

It just seems like such a stretch to apply that kind of super-abstract Math with Physics, but there is a lot about Physics that I am sure I am unaware of.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd first like to mention that the definition of a category that appears on Baez's page is incorrect. A category does not consist of "a set of objects and a set of morphisms." A category consists of a class of objects and a class of morphisms (any set is a class, but not all classes are sets). If you restrict the definition of a category to only having a set of objects and a set of morphisms, some of the most important examples of categories would not be included. Sorry to be pedantic.

I do know that there is an effort to use category theory to give a rigorous definition of a conformal field theory. The aim is to try to construct the correspondences between the algebraic, and geometric structures that are involved as functors between certain categories. I agree that constructing these correspondences is very important, however I'm not sure that category theory is the right way to do it.

I'm afraid I don't have any more information on the matter, I'm sorry I can't be more help.

Tom Gilroy said:
I'd first like to mention that the definition of a category that appears on Baez's page is incorrect. A category does not consist of "a set of objects and a set of morphisms." A category consists of a class of objects and a class of morphisms (any set is a class, but not all classes are sets). If you restrict the definition of a category to only having a set of objects and a set of morphisms, some of the most important examples of categories would not be included. Sorry to be pedantic.
It's not only pedantic, it's not true. You are forcing your choice of foundations upon us. Apparently you like to work with sets and classes. Some people don't. They like to fix a universe in which everything takes place, all whose members are sets. They are in good company: Grothendieck. Nothing wrong with defining a category to have a set of objects and a set of morphisms. Again, then you are in good company, since Mac Lane does this in "Categories Work".

Landau said:
It's not only pedantic, it's not true. You are forcing your choice of foundations upon us. Apparently you like to work with sets and classes. Some people don't. They like to fix a universe in which everything takes place, all whose members are sets. They are in good company: Grothendieck. Nothing wrong with defining a category to have a set of objects and a set of morphisms. Again, then you are in good company, since Mac Lane does this in "Categories Work".

I was aware of this, and reconsidering my post, I probably should have said that the definition of a category on Baez's page isn't accepted universally, and given the class based definition as an alternate option.

My intention was merely to point out that the set based definition does not cover all possible cases one may be interested in. If the Grothendieck approach is sufficient for your purposes, by all means use it. I really have no interest in forcing a particular choice of foundations upon anybody.

Landau said:
It's not only pedantic, it's not true. You are forcing your choice of foundations upon us. Apparently you like to work with sets and classes.
I had a professor who referred to such categories as "kitty-gories"!

Some people don't. They like to fix a universe in which everything takes place, all whose members are sets. They are in good company: Grothendieck. Nothing wrong with defining a category to have a set of objects and a set of morphisms. Again, then you are in good company, since Mac Lane does this in "Categories Work".

Thanks for the replies. Pedantry or not aside, sounds like some interesting stuff is out there. I'm actually most hoping for a strait course on pure abstract categories, but it is always interesting to figure out what some of these guys are actually doing with it all.

Cheers.

Sportin' Life said:
It just seems like such a stretch to apply that kind of super-abstract Math with Physics, but there is a lot about Physics that I am sure I am unaware of.
It's only abstract if you use it abstractly. :smile: Matrix algebra, for example, is an example of an abelian category.

Why would those "kitty-gories" be interesting? (I like that name). Aren't the most interesting categories classes of mathematical structures, like the class of all groups (with group homomorphisms as arrows)?

Many categorical constructions, like triangulated categories and derived categories arise naturally in string theory. Other construction, such as monads, are quite useful in computer science. So, even though category theory was intended for mathematicians, it does find it's use in broader contexts...

What is category theory and how is it used in physics?

Category theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the structure of mathematical objects and their relationships. It provides a framework for understanding the connections between different mathematical concepts. In physics, category theory is used to study the relationships between different physical theories and to develop new theories.

What are the benefits of using category theory in physics?

One of the main benefits of using category theory in physics is that it allows for a more abstract and general approach to understanding physical theories. It also provides a common language for different areas of physics, making it easier to compare and combine theories. Additionally, category theory has been shown to have applications in quantum mechanics, general relativity, and other areas of physics.

Are there any limitations to using category theory in physics?

While category theory has proven to be a useful tool in physics, it is not a universal solution. It may not be applicable to all areas of physics, and some theories may require different mathematical approaches. Additionally, category theory can be quite abstract and may not provide concrete predictions or solutions to specific problems in physics.

Can category theory be used to unify different physical theories?

Yes, category theory has been used to unify different physical theories, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity, into a single framework. This approach, known as categorical quantum mechanics, has shown promising results in bridging the gap between these two theories and could potentially lead to a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.

What are some specific examples of category theory being used in physics?

Some specific examples of category theory being used in physics include the development of topological quantum field theory, the study of quantum information and entanglement, and the application of category theory to string theory. Additionally, category theory has been used to study black hole thermodynamics and the holographic principle.