Celestial mechanics: Why is my planet orbiting faster and faster?

In summary: When the planet returns to the starting point value after an integer number of revolutions, it could be that the speed is not the same. You could also verify that angular momentum is conserved when you move the planet to a new point and make the necessary corrections if it isn't.Small numbers are OK.Big numbers are OK.Mixing big and small numbers is not OK.The (Processing) source code is as follows:
S Holtom
TL;DR Summary
Part comp sci part astronomy...not sure where to put this
I've tried to make a "naive" implementation of a planet orbiting a gravitational point source, in Processing (basically Java).
Gravity is a constant, and adds to the planet's velocity inversely proportional to the square of distance. I start the planet off with a tangential velocity.
I get an elliptical orbit, as desired, but the planet orbits faster and faster until it is ejected. What am I missing? Or is it really the case that very precise values are needed for a stable orbit?

(I'll post the source code shortly, it's on another machine)

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it is roundoff error. You could try the continuity correction, which means averaging the acceleration in two places. Or maybe three places. That will reduce the peak value of gravity.

It could be a matter of precision and cumulative errors. Do you check to see that the speed is the same when the planet returns to the starting point value after an integer number of revolutions? You could also verify that angular momentum is conserved when you move the planet to a new point and make the necessary corrections if it isn't.

Yes I was starting to suspect a similar thing. I have my planet orbiting at a distance of +1 unit, but then that means gravity needs to be something like 0.001, then dividing by 60 because 60fps...the numbers do end up pretty small.

Thanks for the very fast replies :)

S Holtom said:
I get an elliptical orbit, as desired, but the planet orbits faster and faster until it is ejected. What am I missing? Or is it really the case that very precise values are needed for a stable orbit?
You need to select a more accurate numerical integration technique.
Look for a symmetrical technique that, when run backwards, returns the body to the starting point.

Start here; https://www.ias.edu/ids/~piet/act/comp
See Time-Symmetric Codes … https://www.ias.edu/ids/~piet/act/comp/algorithms

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Swamp Thing, vanhees71, Delta2 and 1 other person
S Holtom said:
.the numbers do end up pretty small.
Small numbers are OK.
Big numbers are OK.
Mixing big and small numbers is not OK.

Likes vanhees71, phinds and anorlunda
Here's the (Processing) source code:

Code:
/* This world is just a simulation of an elliptical orbit */
// World coords are -1 to +1, both dimensions

boolean g_debug = true;

final float kGravity = 0.001f;
final float kTangent = 0.05f;
final float kDistance = 0.5f;
final float kPlanetSize = 0.03f;

float g_aspectRatio;

private PVector _planetPos;
private PVector _planetVel;

public void setup()
{
  size(800, 600);  
  background(0);

g_aspectRatio = float(height) / float(width);

_planetPos = new PVector(0.0f, -kDistance);
  _planetVel = new PVector(kTangent, 0.0f);
}public void draw()
{
  clear();

int time = millis();
  float delta = float(time) * 0.001f;

Update(delta);
  Render();
}

public void Update (float secsDelta)
  {
    if (secsDelta > 0.0f)
    {
      float sqDist;
      PVector diff = new PVector(-_planetPos.x, -_planetPos.y);
      sqDist = ((diff.x * diff.x) + (diff.y * diff.y));

diff.normalize();
      diff = Vector_ScalarMult(diff, (kGravity / sqDist) * secsDelta);

_planetVel.x += diff.x;
      _planetVel.y += diff.y;

_planetPos.x += _planetVel.x * secsDelta;
      _planetPos.y += _planetVel.y * secsDelta;
    }
  }

public void Render()
  {
    float halfX = float(width) / 2.0f;
    float halfY = (float(height) / 2.0f) * g_aspectRatio;
    float planetSize = kPlanetSize * float(width);

stroke(200);
    fill(50, 50, 255);
    circle(_planetPos.x * halfX + halfX, _planetPos.y * halfY + halfY, planetSize);
    stroke(255, 0, 0);

int middleX = width/2;
    int middleY = height/2;
    int lineWidth = width / 30;
    int lineLength = height / int(30.0f * g_aspectRatio);
    line(middleX, middleY - lineLength, middleX, middleY + lineLength);
    line(middleX - lineWidth, middleY, middleX + lineWidth, middleY);
  }

Oh and if anyone is compiling this, you'll need a function from my vector helpers class:

Code:
public PVector Vector_ScalarMult (PVector one, float mult)
{
  PVector vec = new PVector();
  vec.x = one.x * mult;
  vec.y = one.y * mult;
  vec.z = one.z * mult;
  return vec;
}

NB: In Processing, "width" and "height" are reserved terms for the width and height of the app window.

S Holtom said:
Summary: Part comp sci part astronomy...not sure where to put thisGravity is a constant, and adds to the planet's velocity inversely proportional to the square of distance. I start the planet off with a tangential velocity.
Please express this relationship mathematically so we can see what you are doing. I can't make sense of the first sentence above.

Well I'm not absolutely sure how to do that...
Let's say that since the last time I updated the planet's velocity, then deltaTime seconds have elapsed.

Then my program says that:
new_velocity = current_velocity + (vector_to_gravitational_source * gravitational_constant * deltaTime / distance2)

And then of course the planet's position is just:
new_position = current_position + (new_velocity * deltaTime)

Oh and by the "tangential" comment, what I meant was:

1. The initial position of the planet is at some offset in the y axis, so coordinates are (0.0, 1.0)
2. The initial velocity of the planet is purely in the x axis, so e.g. (0.3, 0.0)

S Holtom said:
Let's say that since the last time I updated the planet's velocity, then deltaTime seconds have elapsed.

Then my program says that:
new_velocity = current_velocity + (vector_to_gravitational_source * gravitational_constant * deltaTime / distance2)

And then of course the planet's position is just:
new_position = current_position + (new_velocity * deltaTime)
Are you trying to program a game of some kind? What is your goal? Did you have any physics courses?

It's involved in a kind of visualization of a galaxy that I am working on. I know what you're thinking: if I can't simulate one planet orbiting a gravitational point source, then simulating a whole galaxy is going to be quite a stretch.

But the visualization that I am working on is actually static. There are no orbits. The only reason that I am trying to model an orbit, is actually to do with how I am seeding my perlin flow fields. For which, in fact, a couple orbits of the "planet" is sufficient, so it doesn't actually matter that the orbits get faster.
But I would like to understand why my naive orbit maths fails.

bob012345 said:
Please express this relationship mathematically
S Holtom said:
That's kind ofa problem. If you don't know where you're going,, any road will take you there.

I won't say "The problem is..." but I will say "A problem is...". You are assuming that the steps are sufficiently small that the acceleration and position at the beginning of the step are the same as at the end. Or "close enough". This is known to accumulate errors.

You might want to look up Runge-Kutta.

S Holtom said:
It's involved in a kind of visualization of a galaxy that I am working on. I know what you're thinking: if I can't simulate one planet orbiting a gravitational point source, then simulating a whole galaxy is going to be quite a stretch.

But the visualization that I am working on is actually static. There are no orbits. The only reason that I am trying to model an orbit, is actually to do with how I am seeding my perlin flow fields. For which, in fact, a couple orbits of the "planet" is sufficient, so it doesn't actually matter that the orbits get faster.
But I would like to understand why my naive orbit maths fails.
It fails because it lacks the correct physics behind why orbits are the way they are. The force of gravity is not constant in an elliptical orbit but total energy is conserved as is the angular momentum. You may not want a full primer on orbital mechanics to do your project but then what you could do is just implement the correct orbital equation for a hypothetical planet orbiting a hypothetical star. Or you could just model the Earth going around the sun as a circle and leave it at that.

I think specifically, you are adding energy to the orbit at every time interval so it will naturally spiral out of its orbit.

bob012345 said:
what you could do is just implement the correct orbital equation for a hypothetical planet orbiting a hypothetical star
Great. Can you recommend a good description?

S Holtom said:
Great. Can you recommend a good description?
Make a model for the orbit of our good earth. You can get the data such as maximum and minimum distances, the period you know and you will have an equation of position vs. time. The Earth is an ellipse but nearly circular so you could approximate it as a circle for convenience then the equation is very simple and the velocity would be constant (in magnitude but the direction of course changes).

Last edited:
If I understand it right, you try to solve the equation of motion using a simple Euler integration. This is not very accurate, and it's likely that you accumulate a lot of numerical errors for simulations over a longer time. An easy check of the accuracy is to plot the energy and/or angular momentum as a function of time. Both should be conserved. If this is not the case, you can be sure that the numerics is not accurate anymore.

Likes Vanadium 50
vanhees71 said:
If I understand it right, you try to solve the equation of motion using a simple Euler integration. This is not very accurate, and it's likely that you accumulate a lot of numerical errors for simulations over a longer time. An easy check of the accuracy is to plot the energy and/or angular momentum as a function of time. Both should be conserved. If this is not the case, you can be sure that the numerics is not accurate anymore.
It wasn't the correct equation of motion at all.

Well, this is embarrassing. It turns out that it was purely a programming error.
Basically, the function I was using for my timer does not return time elapsed since the last frame, but in fact time elapsed since the program started. :doh:
In fairness to me, I was thrown off by the fact that the planet got "ejected", when in fact the ejection was caused by an overflow, not the dynamics of the model itself.

With that bug fixed, the naive implementation works fine. I can have stable circular orbits, elliptical orbits and precessing orbits.

Thanks everyone for the replies, sorry if I wasted any time but I thought there were issues with the model.

1. Why does my planet's orbit speed up?

The speed of a planet's orbit is influenced by its distance from the center of gravity, the mass of the planet, and the gravitational pull of other objects in its orbit. As a planet moves closer to the center of gravity, it experiences a stronger pull and therefore speeds up. Additionally, if there are no other objects in its orbit, the planet's speed will remain constant. However, if there are other objects in its orbit, their gravitational pull can also affect the speed of the planet's orbit.

2. Will my planet eventually escape its orbit?

It is possible for a planet to escape its orbit, but it is not common. This can happen if the planet's speed is greater than the escape velocity, which is the minimum speed required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of another object. However, most planets have a stable orbit and will not escape unless there are significant external forces acting on them.

3. Can the speed of a planet's orbit change over time?

Yes, the speed of a planet's orbit can change over time. This can be due to various factors such as the gravitational pull of other objects, changes in the planet's distance from the center of gravity, and even the planet's own rotation. In some cases, these changes can be significant and can affect the stability of the planet's orbit.

4. How does the shape of a planet's orbit affect its speed?

The shape of a planet's orbit, known as its eccentricity, can affect its speed. A more elliptical orbit will cause the planet to speed up as it gets closer to the center of gravity and slow down as it moves away. On the other hand, a more circular orbit will result in a more constant speed. The eccentricity of a planet's orbit is determined by its initial conditions and can also be influenced by external forces.

5. Can the speed of a planet's orbit be calculated?

Yes, the speed of a planet's orbit can be calculated using the laws of celestial mechanics. This involves taking into account the mass and distance of the planet from the center of gravity, as well as the gravitational pull of other objects in its orbit. With these factors, the speed of a planet's orbit can be determined using mathematical equations and calculations.