1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cell Phones Please help asap

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    Hello,
    I need help understanding how exactly cell phones work, like the channels, frequencies, and grid system. I researched a lot but still don't get it, could some one please dumb it down for me :$ I need help ASAP b/c I have an assignment due tmrw. Thankyou so much. Basically, just talk about carriers, channels, grid system, frequencies and stuff. any help is appreciated! (8

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Tell us what you've learned so far.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    I know that the carrier divides the city into cells and a channel is a range of frequencies. Frequencies are cycles per second, but what's that gotta do with it? And what's the deal with one and two way communication?

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4
    You might want to look up "modulation". Communications systems using the electromagnetic spectrum near each other and at the same time may be made to use different frequencies so as to not interfere with each other. Typical mobile phone networks encode a digital signal using some range of frequencies.

Today's digital phones use something called "channel access methods".

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook