1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass and integrating

1. Mar 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid "rough" of constant density ([tex]\delta[/tex] =1) is bounded below by the surface z=4y^2,above by the plane z=4, and one the ends by the planes x=1 and x=-1. Find the center of mass...

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]_{M}[/tex]xy =[tex]\int\int\int[/tex] z [tex]\delta[/tex] dV
    Mass = [tex]\int\int\int[/tex][tex]\delta[/tex]dV
    then to find the center of mass, the z component would be [tex]_{M}[/tex]xy / M

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]_{M}[/tex]xy = [tex]\int\int\int[/tex][tex]^{4}_{4y^2}[/tex] z [tex]\delta[/tex]dzdydx
    =[tex]\int\int[/tex] [z^2/2][tex]^{4}_{4y^2}[/tex]dydx
    =[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{0}[/tex](8-8y^4)dydx
    =8[tex]\int^{1}_{-1}[/tex][y-y^5/5][tex]^{1}_{0}[/tex] dx =8[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex][4/5]dx
    =8[4x/5][tex]^{1}_{-1}[/tex] = 8[4/5+4/5]= 64/5

For some reason, and it isn't obvious to me why, the solution manual says that this answer should be 128/5. i'm off by a factor of 2, but i don't know what i did wrong. I haven't attempted to find the mass yet, but i think once i understand what I did wrong here, that answer shouldn't be hard to find.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why are you integrating, with respect to y, from y= 0 to y= 1? The "cylinder" z= 4y2 intersects the plane z= 4 at y= -1 and 1.

4. Mar 28, 2008 #3
    i don't know why that didn't register with me. thanks for pointing that out. my answer is now 128/5, the same as the book's.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?