Center of mass of a non-uniform rod

In summary, the conversation involves finding the total mass and center of mass for a non-uniform rod with one end at the origin and the other at point (L,0). This is done using integration, with the total mass being M = (1/3)aL^3 and the center of mass being (3/4)(a^2/L). The conversation also includes confusion about the next integral to be done, which is solved by writing dm in terms of x and integrating accordingly.
Linus Pauling
1. A straight rod has one end at the origin and the other end at the point (L,0) and a linear density given by \lambda=ax^2, where a is a known constant and x is the x coordinate. Since this wire is not uniform, you will have to use integrtation to solve this part. Use M=\int_0^L dm to find the total mass M. Find x_cm for this rod.

2. X_cm = (1/M)Integral(x dm)

3. To obtain M, I did a*Integral(x^2 dx) from 0 to L, obtaining M = (1/3)aL^3

I then did x_cm = (1/M)*a*Integral(x^3) from 0 to L, obtaining:

(3/4)(a^2/L)

Apparently the answer does not depend on a

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I am confident that my calculation of M is correct

M = (1/3)aL^3

But what is the next integral I need to do? I know it's (1/M)*Integral(x dm)

where dm = ax^2 dx. What is x? I'm going psycho.

Linus Pauling said:
I know it's (1/M)*Integral(x dm)

where dm = ax^2 dx. What is x?
What do you mean, what is x? It's the x-coordinate along the wire, just like before. Just write dm in terms of dx (like you just did) and you'll have what you need to integrate.

I do not understand. The length of the rod is L. So if I integrate L*ax^2 dx from 0 to L I obtain (1/3)aL^4.

Dividing by M=(1/3)aL^3 I obtain L, which is incorrect.

?

Linus Pauling said:
The length of the rod is L. So if I integrate L*ax^2 dx from 0 to L I obtain (1/3)aL^4.
:confused: Why are you integrating that?

x_cm = (1/M) ∫ x dm, just like you stated in your last post. Just write dm in terms of x, which you also stated in your last post.

1. What is the definition of center of mass for a non-uniform rod?

The center of mass for a non-uniform rod is the point at which the entire mass of the rod can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the rod will be perfectly balanced if supported at that point.

2. How is the center of mass calculated for a non-uniform rod?

The center of mass can be calculated by dividing the rod into infinitesimally small sections and finding the center of mass for each section. Then, the overall center of mass can be found by taking the weighted average of these individual centers of mass.

3. What factors can affect the center of mass of a non-uniform rod?

The center of mass of a non-uniform rod can be affected by the distribution of mass along the rod, the shape and size of the rod, and the orientation of the rod in relation to the gravitational force.

4. How can the center of mass of a non-uniform rod be used in practical applications?

The center of mass is an important concept in engineering and physics, and it can be used to determine the stability and balance of structures or objects. It can also be used to calculate the torque and rotational motion of the rod.

5. How does the center of mass of a non-uniform rod differ from that of a uniform rod?

The center of mass for a non-uniform rod is not located at the geometric center of the rod, as it is for a uniform rod with evenly distributed mass. It takes into account the varying distribution of mass along the non-uniform rod.