1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass of a non-uniform rod

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    1. A straight rod has one end at the origin and the other end at the point (L,0) and a linear density given by \lambda=ax^2, where a is a known constant and x is the x coordinate. Since this wire is not uniform, you will have to use integrtation to solve this part. Use M=\int_0^L dm to find the total mass M. Find x_cm for this rod.

2. X_cm = (1/M)Integral(x dm)

3. To obtain M, I did a*Integral(x^2 dx) from 0 to L, obtaining M = (1/3)aL^3

I then did x_cm = (1/M)*a*Integral(x^3) from 0 to L, obtaining:

(3/4)(a^2/L)

Apparently the answer does not depend on a

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2
    Ok, I am confident that my calculation of M is correct

M = (1/3)aL^3

But what is the next integral I need to do? I know it's (1/M)*Integral(x dm)

where dm = ax^2 dx. What is x? I'm going psycho.

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean, what is x? It's the x-coordinate along the wire, just like before. Just write dm in terms of dx (like you just did) and you'll have what you need to integrate.

5. Oct 24, 2009 #4
    I do not understand. The length of the rod is L. So if I integrate L*ax^2 dx from 0 to L I obtain (1/3)aL^4.

Dividing by M=(1/3)aL^3 I obtain L, which is incorrect.

???

6. Oct 24, 2009 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

:confused: Why are you integrating that?

x_cm = (1/M) ∫ x dm, just like you stated in your last post. Just write dm in terms of x, which you also stated in your last post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook