1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the center of mass of a thin plate with constant density in the given region.
    region bounded by y-axis, x=y-y^3 ; 0<=y<=1

2. Relevant equations

x(bar) = (integral)(a to b) α(x) * x * (f(x) - g(x))
    ----------------------------------
    (integral)(a to b) α(x) * (f(x) - g(x))

y(bar) = (integral)(a to b) (1/2) α(x) * x * (f(x)^2 - g(x)^2)
    ----------------------------------
    (integral)(a to b) α(x) * (f(x) - g(x))

3. The attempt at a solution
    how do i solve this since it is f(y) and not f(x). would i replace the "X" in x(bar) integral with a "y"?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your "x= y= y^3" is "shorthand" (and not very good if you ask me) for "x= y" and x= y^3. Solve the latter for y: y= x^(1/3).

4. Feb 12, 2013 #3
    are the limits of integration from 0 to 1 still?

5. Feb 12, 2013 #4
    update: it is x=y-y^3

sorry for the misunderstanding.

6. Feb 12, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you had the start of a good idea. Take the function y=x-x^3 bounded by the x-axis for 0<=x<=1. It looks the same as your original region, just has x and y reversed. So work out it's center of mass then exchange x and y again.

7. Feb 12, 2013 #6
    not getting the right answer.

8. Feb 12, 2013 #7
    made a mistake on one of the integrals. now i'm getting the correct answers.
    but i'm getting the two backwards the X value of center of mass is the y value for the center of mass on the answer key.

9. Feb 12, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Without seeing what you are doing, it's hard to say. But if you are getting say, (1/2,1/3) for y=x-x^3, then the answer for x=y-y^3 should be (1/3,1/2). You need to interchange the center of mass coordinates to go from one to the other.

10. Feb 12, 2013 #9
    what do you mean?

11. Feb 12, 2013 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mean that the regions bounded by x=y-y^3 and y=x-x^3 don't have the same center of mass but there is a simple relation between them. What did you get for the center of mass of y=x-x^3?

12. Feb 12, 2013 #11
    i got (8/15, 16/105) whereas the answer is (16/105, 8/15).

should i just note that whenever solving a center of mass with x= to switch the values at the end?

13. Feb 12, 2013 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could make a note of it, but it would better if you clearly understood why. As I've said, switching x and y to turn x=y-y^3 into y=x-x^3 is going to switch the x and y coordinates of the center of mass. You need to switch them back.

14. Feb 12, 2013 #13
    how would i solve this where it would not involve switching the coordinates?

15. Feb 12, 2013 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't solve x=y-y^3 to get y as a function of x in any useful way. So you can't use your formulas directly. Either get similar formulas for the case where you have x expressed as a function of y or set up the center of mass formulas as double integrals, if you've covered that.

16. Feb 12, 2013 #15
    we haven't covered double integrals.

17. Feb 12, 2013 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then stick with the switching approach.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook