1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of momentum for particle collision

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a collision in which a stationary particle with mass M is bombarded by a particle with mass m, speed v0, and total energy (including rest energy) Em.

PART A: Use the Lorentz transformation to write the velocities vm and vM of particles m and M in terms of the speed vcm of the center of momentum.

PART B: Use the fact that the total momentum in the center-of-momentum frame is zero to obtain an expression for vcm in terms of m, M, and v0.

3. The attempt at a solution

ok i found the part A after like a gazillion of tries

but the problem is part B. i have totally no idea... i tried to use mvm=mvM since the total momentum is 0, but i don't get the ans. almost all my answers are monstrous looking expressions

help greatly appreciated!

PS: part C was adding part A and B together to get the available energy for particle collision which i got the answer from my textbook but my textbook doesn't show how to derive it. would be great if someone could tell me how to combine part A and B to show this part C thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2
    wow... i found the answer after crazy amounts of trial and errors... but i still don't understand why

my solution was, since total momentum = 0 in the center of momentum frame, then the initial momentum = 0 from conservation of momentum.

so my equation was (gamma)(m)(v0-vcm) - (Mvcm) = 0

so making vcmthe subject, i find that it is = mv0 / {(M/gamma) + m}

but the problem is the answer's gamma is just using 1/ sqrt(1 - (v0/c)2), but shouldn't the gamma, which is the factor in special relativity, be using v0-vcm instead of just v0???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook