Center of momentum for particle collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between a stationary particle with mass M and a particle with mass m, speed v0, and total energy Em. Part A uses the Lorentz transformation to write the velocities of particles m and M in terms of the speed of the center of momentum, vcm. Part B uses the fact that the total momentum in the center-of-momentum frame is zero to obtain an expression for vcm in terms of m, M, and v0. The solution is derived using conservation of momentum and the gamma factor in special relativity. Part C involves combining the equations from parts A and B to find the available energy for the particle collision.
quietrain

Homework Statement

Consider a collision in which a stationary particle with mass M is bombarded by a particle with mass m, speed v0, and total energy (including rest energy) Em.

PART A: Use the Lorentz transformation to write the velocities vm and vM of particles m and M in terms of the speed vcm of the center of momentum.

PART B: Use the fact that the total momentum in the center-of-momentum frame is zero to obtain an expression for vcm in terms of m, M, and v0.

The Attempt at a Solution

ok i found the part A after like a gazillion of tries

but the problem is part B. i have totally no idea... i tried to use mvm=mvM since the total momentum is 0, but i don't get the ans. almost all my answers are monstrous looking expressions

help greatly appreciated!

PS: part C was adding part A and B together to get the available energy for particle collision which i got the answer from my textbook but my textbook doesn't show how to derive it. would be great if someone could tell me how to combine part A and B to show this part C thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
wow... i found the answer after crazy amounts of trial and errors... but i still don't understand why

my solution was, since total momentum = 0 in the center of momentum frame, then the initial momentum = 0 from conservation of momentum.

so my equation was (gamma)(m)(v0-vcm) - (Mvcm) = 0

so making vcmthe subject, i find that it is = mv0 / {(M/gamma) + m}

but the problem is the answer's gamma is just using 1/ sqrt(1 - (v0/c)2), but shouldn't the gamma, which is the factor in special relativity, be using v0-vcm instead of just v0?

1. What is the center of momentum for particle collision?

The center of momentum for particle collision is the reference point where the total momentum of all the particles involved is zero. This point is also known as the center of mass or center of energy.

2. Why is the center of momentum important in particle collisions?

The center of momentum is important in particle collisions because it allows us to simplify the analysis of the collision by reducing it to a two-body problem. This makes it easier to calculate the outcomes of the collision and make predictions about the behavior of the particles.

3. How is the center of momentum calculated?

The center of momentum is calculated by taking the weighted average of the positions and momenta of all the particles involved in the collision. This can be represented by the equation: COM = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where m is the mass of the particle and x is its position.

4. How does the center of momentum relate to conservation of momentum?

The center of momentum is directly related to the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In a particle collision, the center of momentum remains at rest or in a constant state of motion, even after the collision, which ensures that the total momentum is conserved.

5. Can the center of momentum be outside of the physical system?

Yes, the center of momentum can be outside of the physical system. This can happen if there is an external force acting on the system, causing it to move as a whole. In this case, the center of momentum will also be moving and may be located outside of the physical system.