Central Equation Derivation: NxN Matrix?

• A
  • Thread starter semc
  • Start date
In summary: That's why people say it is a NxN matrix.In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the central equation, which is a set of equations for a fixed k in the first Brillouin zone. The equation couples coefficients Ck, Ck-G, Ck-G', Ck-G'', etc. and is represented as a NxN matrix. The conversation also mentions relevant resources for further understanding the equation.
semc
I went through the derivation for the central equation

$$(\lambda_k - \epsilon)C_k + \Sigma_G U_G C_{k-G} = 0$$

and everywhere I look everybody just says this is a NxN matrix. I don't see how this is true. Isn't this just a one line equation with summation across all reciprocal lattice? I don't understand why at one value of k we get NxN matrix. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah this is what I found but the central equation is
$$ \frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m} C_k + \sum_{G}^{} V_GC_{k-G}=EC_k$$
so shouldn't I just have
$$ \frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m} C_k + V_0C_{k-g} + V_0C_{k+g}=EC_k$$
for G=ng and $$ V=V_0e^{igx} +V_0e^{-igx} ?$$
How do you get the other equations
$$ \frac{\hbar^2(k-g)^2}{2m} C_{k-g} + V_0C_{k-2g} + V_0C_{k}=EC_{k-g}$$

The "central equation" is a set of equations. For a fixed k in the first Brillouin zone, this set of equations for all reciprocal lattice vectors G couples those coefficients Ck , CkG , CkG' , CkG'' ,... whose wave vector differ from k by a reciprocal vector. Equation (107) in [1] which follows the presentation in the textbook “Solid State Physics” by Neil W. Ashcroft and N. David Mermin should illustrate the meaning of the "central equation". Have a look at [2], too.

[1] [PDF]Introduction to Solid State Physics
[2] [PDF]7.6 The Schrodinger equation of electron in a periodic potential

Last edited:
Well I read the book by ashcroft and mermin and [2] before. Everybody just says that the C(k) couples to C(k+G). Are they referring to the coupling via V0? I really don't see where the other equations come from

I guess I am asking why is C(k) a vector? Isn't C(k) just the Fourier coefficient of the wavefunction?

upload_2018-9-7_14-6-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-7_14-6-30.png
    upload_2018-9-7_14-6-30.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,104
semc said:
I guess I am asking why is C(k) a vector?

C(k) isn't a vector. You simply write the set of equations which have to be solved in a matrix form.

Last edited:

1. What is a central equation derivation?

A central equation derivation is a process used in mathematics and physics to find the solutions to a system of equations by manipulating them and reducing them to a central equation. This central equation often has a simpler form and can be solved more easily than the original system of equations.

2. How is a central equation derivation done?

A central equation derivation is typically done by applying various algebraic manipulations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to a system of equations. The goal is to eliminate variables and reduce the equations to a single central equation that can be solved for the remaining variable.

3. What is an NxN matrix?

An NxN matrix is a square matrix with dimensions of N by N, where N represents the number of rows and columns. This means that an NxN matrix has the same number of rows and columns, making it a square shape. Examples of an NxN matrix include a 2x2 matrix, 3x3 matrix, and so on.

4. How is an NxN matrix used in central equation derivation?

An NxN matrix is often used in central equation derivation as a way to represent a system of equations. The variables in the equations are represented as the elements of the matrix, and the manipulations done to the equations are reflected in the operations done to the matrix. This allows for a more organized and systematic approach to solving the central equation.

5. What are the applications of central equation derivation?

Central equation derivation has various applications in mathematics and physics, such as solving systems of linear equations, finding the roots of polynomials, and determining the behavior of physical systems. It is also used in fields such as engineering, economics, and statistics to model and analyze complex systems and relationships.