Centralizers and elements of odd order

• Thread starter wakko101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, the proof shows that if b^2 centralizes a and b has odd order, then ab=ba. This is proven by showing that b^(2n+1)a=a(b^(2n+1)) and b^(2n)ba=ab^(2n)b, which leads to the conclusion that ba=ab.
wakko101
I was going over a proof in which the following is given:

if abb=bba and b is of odd order, then ab=ba (i.e. if b^2 centralizes a then so does b)

I'm not sure why this is so. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Cheers,
W. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
b^2 commutes with a. If b has odd order then b^(2n+1)=e for some n. So b^(2n+1)a=a(b^(2n+1)). Do you see it now?

I believe so...
b^(2n)ba = ab^(2n)b
b^2n(ba) = b^2n(ab) since abb = bba
ba = ab

If that's it, then cheers! =)

wakko101 said:
I believe so...
b^(2n)ba = ab^(2n)b
b^2n(ba) = b^2n(ab) since abb = bba
ba = ab

If that's it, then cheers! =)

Cheers!

1. What is the definition of centralizers and elements of odd order?

Centralizers refer to the set of elements in a group that commute with a particular element, while elements of odd order are elements whose order (the smallest positive integer n such that a^n = e, where e is the identity element) is an odd number.

2. How do centralizers and elements of odd order relate to each other?

The centralizer of an element of odd order consists of that element and the identity element, and is a subgroup of the group. This means that all elements of odd order in a group are in the same centralizer.

3. What is the significance of centralizers and elements of odd order in group theory?

Centralizers and elements of odd order are important concepts in group theory as they help to understand the structure and properties of groups. They can be used to prove theorems and classify groups into different categories.

4. How can centralizers and elements of odd order be used in practical applications?

Centralizers and elements of odd order have applications in various fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. They can be used to construct codes with desirable properties and to understand the symmetry of physical systems.

5. Are there any other types of centralizers and elements apart from odd order?

Yes, there are also centralizers and elements of even order, which consist of elements whose order is an even number. These elements may behave differently in a group compared to elements of odd order, and have their own properties and applications.