Centre of Mass Displacement when Man Climbs Ladder w/ Counterweight

In summary: On top of all that, it's unclear whether the distance climbed and CoM displacement are supposed to be measured vertically or in line of...
SK_JEE
1. A stationary pulley carries a rope,one end of which supports a ladder with a man and the other a counter weight mass M.The man of mass 'm' climbs up a distance "L" wrt the ladder and then stops.The displacement of CM of the system is?

Homework Equations

How do i approach this question

The Attempt at a Solution

As the man moves up,the mass M moves up too..so ml+ML/m+M ,something like this..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SK_JEE said:
1. A stationary pulley carries a rope,one end of which supports a ladder with a man and the other a counter weight mass M.The man of mass 'm' climbs up a distance "L" wrt the ladder and then stops.The displacement of CM of the system is?

Homework Equations

How do i approach this question

The Attempt at a Solution

As the man moves up,the mass M moves up too..so ml+ML/m+M ,something like this..?

Welcome to the PF.

If the counterweight has the same mass as the person, and they are connected by a rope over a pulley, as the man moves up the counterweight should move down, no?

Aren't they in equilibrium,so I guess it shouldn't move at all..

SK_JEE said:
Aren't they in equilibrium,so I guess it shouldn't move at all..

Yeah, but the problem says the man uses the ladder to move himself. Kind of like an astronaut pulling himself along inside the Space Station...

berkeman said:
Yeah, but the problem says the man uses the ladder to move himself. Kind of like an astronaut pulling himself along inside the Space Station...

So,if the man moves up,the ladder moves down..and the mass M moves up?

SK_JEE said:
So,if the man moves up,the ladder moves down..and the mass M moves up?

Oh, sorry, I misread your first post with the question. So the counterweight supports both the man and the ladder? I was assuming that the ladder was fixed, but re-reading your post it says that the man and ladder are both on one end of the rope, balanced by the counterweight.

Hmm. So it's more like the man is holding the ladder, and can move it up and down with respect to his position? Is there a figure showing the problem?

berkeman said:
Oh, sorry, I misread your first post with the question. So the counterweight supports both the man and the ladder? I was assuming that the ladder was fixed, but re-reading your post it says that the man and ladder are both on one end of the rope, balanced by the counterweight.

Hmm. So it's more like the man is holding the ladder, and can move it up and down with respect to his position? Is there a figure showing the problem?

There isn't any diagram,but I assumed and made a quick one,here
http://gyazo.com/ee2fda8cfbe22eae4fc549534b053db4

SK_JEE said:
There isn't any diagram,but I assumed and made a quick one,here
http://gyazo.com/ee2fda8cfbe22eae4fc549534b053db4

Okay, so it's more like the man is holding the ladder. Instead of really climbing up the ladder, it's more like the man is lowering the ladder, because there is nothing supporting the ladder, so the man can't really "climb up".

If the man is lowering the ladder and that does not cause him to move anywhere himself, what happens to the CM of the system?

berkeman said:
Okay, so it's more like the man is holding the ladder. Instead of really climbing up the ladder, it's more like the man is lowering the ladder, because there is nothing supporting the ladder, so the man can't really "climb up".

If the man is lowering the ladder and that does not cause him to move anywhere himself, what happens to the CM of the system?

Not too sure about the ques,but ans isn't 0
its
ml/2m

I can't make sense of the set-up. No mass is mentioned for the ladder, so I assume that's to be ignored. So, before the man steps on the ladder the counterweight must be on the floor. Presumably the counterweight weighs less than the man.
As soon as the man steps on the ladder, the ladder is not going to be vertical. But now you get into awkward questions about the angle the rope makes to the vertical. OK, maybe we can assume a very long rope and short ladder, so we get to treat the rope as always vertical. But now, below a certain critical height of the man, the counterweight remains on the floor; above that height, the counterweight rises and doesn't stop till the man reaches the floor. I see no reason why equilibrium would be reached in between.
On top of all that, it's unclear whether the distance climbed and CoM displacement are supposed to be measured vertically or in line of movement.

I think, as SK_JEE has assumed, the system is in equilibrium initially, so the mass of the ladder has to be M-m.

You might approach this problem using energy methods. As the man climbs, he does work. That work goes into changing the potential energy of the man, the ladder, and the counterweight.

SK_JEE said:
Not too sure about the ques,but ans isn't 0
its
ml/2m
So the m's cancel, leaving you with l/2, right? What is l supposed to represent? M and m are different variables as are L and l. Don't use them interchangeably.

Last edited:
vela said:
I think, as SK_JEE has assumed, the system is in equilibrium initially, so the mass of the ladder has to be M-m.
OK, but I still don't have the picture. Is the lower end of the ladder on the ground? If so, the ladder will be upright and remain so as the man ascends. Neither the ladder nor the counterweight will move.
If the ladder is suspended, then why does it not say so, rather than merely 'supported'? But supposing it is, I get mL/(2M-m).

1. What is the centre of mass displacement when a man climbs a ladder with a counterweight?

The centre of mass displacement when a man climbs a ladder with a counterweight refers to the change in the location of the combined centre of mass of the man and the ladder as the man moves up or down the ladder while the counterweight remains fixed.

2. Why is it important to consider centre of mass displacement when using a ladder with a counterweight?

It is important to consider centre of mass displacement when using a ladder with a counterweight because it affects the stability and balance of the ladder. If the centre of mass shifts too far to one side, the ladder may become unbalanced and potentially tip over.

3. How does the counterweight affect the centre of mass displacement when climbing a ladder?

The counterweight is designed to offset the weight of the person on the ladder, thus reducing the centre of mass displacement. As the person climbs up, the counterweight moves in the opposite direction, keeping the combined centre of mass relatively stable.

4. Is there a maximum safe centre of mass displacement when using a ladder with a counterweight?

Yes, there is a maximum safe centre of mass displacement when using a ladder with a counterweight. This displacement varies depending on the design and weight of the ladder, but it is important to make sure the centre of mass does not shift too far to one side to maintain stability.

5. How can we calculate the centre of mass displacement when using a ladder with a counterweight?

The centre of mass displacement can be calculated by considering the weights and distances of the person, ladder, and counterweight. Using the principle of moments, the combined centre of mass can be calculated at different points as the person climbs up or down the ladder, giving an idea of the displacement.