1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centre of mass of a solid cone

1. Dec 23, 2006 #1
    im actually bugged of finding a solution for d topic mentioned can any 1 plzzzz help me

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2006 #2
    plzzz help me solve dis problem

4. Dec 23, 2006 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Do not post homework problems in the tutorials section!

Now, to help you along a bit, let I be the cone's base in the plane z=0, and let (X,Y) denote a point in I. Let the vertex have the coordinates: [itex]\vec{r}_{v}=(x_{v},y_{v},z_{v})[/itex].

Thus, any point within the cone will lie on some line segment from [itex]\vec{r}_{v}[/itex] to a point (X,Y) in I, so we can therefore represent all points in the cone with the following function:
    [tex]\vec{r}(X,Y,u)=(\vec{r}_{v}-(X,Y,0))u+(X,Y,0), 0\leq{u}\leq{1},(X,Y)\in{I}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{r}(X,Y,u)\equiv(x(X,Y,u),y(X,Y,u),z(X,Y,u))[/tex]
    This should be useful to you.

In particular, remember that the x-coordinate to any given point in the cone is:
    [tex]x(X,Y,u)=(x_{v}-X)u+X[/itex]
    and similar expressions for the y-and z-coordinates to any one point in the cone.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  5. Dec 23, 2006 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Search under my name and using the keyword "cone". I've gone through the entire derivation in an earlier discussion in the HW forum.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  6. Dec 24, 2006 #5
    this waz a very difficult derivation ....can u be kind enough o explain wid a diagram....thank u

7. Dec 24, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Now, remember that the centroid coordinates are gained by averaging the point coordinates over the volume V of the object O.
    For example, the horizontal centroid coordinate [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] is given by:
    [tex]\hat{x}=\frac{\int_{O}xdV}{\int_{O}dV}=\frac{\int_{O}xdV}{V}, dV=dxdydz[/tex]
    Now, just compute the Jacobian to the cone representation I've given, so that you may integrate with respect to the variables (X,Y,u) instead.

8. Dec 24, 2006 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Since it is Yule, I'll be a bit more charitable:
    1. The Jacobian is readily computed to be [itex](1-u)^{2}z_{v}[/tex]
    2. We also have the coordinate representations:
    [tex]x(X,Y,u)=(x_{v}-X)u+X,y(X,Y,u)=(y_{v}-Y)u+Y, z(X,Y,u)=z_{v}u[/tex]

Use these relations to derive the coordinates for the centroid!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?