Centrifugal Pump: Water Pressure at 50m & 4 Bar Gauge

In summary, the conversation discussed using a centrifugal pump to pump water into a vessel at 4 bar gauge pressure, with the valve closed to prevent air from entering the system. The question was raised about what would happen if the valve was opened to atmospheric air, and it was determined that the water level would fall depending on how the tank was pressurized. It was also mentioned that the pump is necessary for control and that the vessel will contain compressed air for dewatering purposes.
Fellps
I have a centrifugal pump 50 m above a vessel, I’m pumping water in at 4 bar gauge into this vessel. I then close a valve to cease pumping ensuring no air enters the system.​
My question is, if I now open that same valve to atmospheric air this time, will the water exit from the pipe through the valve at a 4 bar pressure differential. Or will it, the water, go down the pipe to 40 m from its originally closed valve position of 50 m.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fellps said:
I have a centrifugal pump 50 m above a vessel, I’m pumping water in at 4 bar gauge into this vessel.​
Is the 4bar measured at the valve/pump or in the tank?

russ_watters said:
Is the 4bar measured at the valve/pump or in the tank?
At the tank

Fellps said:
At the tank
Then the pressure at the valve is roughly 0 absolute and opening the valve to atmosphere will cause the water level to fall. How much it falls will depend on how the tank is being pressurized. If there is compressed air at the top of the tank, the water level will drop about 10m. If there is no air in the tank and it is just solid water, it will only drop a little and the tank pressure will increase to 5 bar gauge since water is incompressible.

...of course, that begs the question: why do you need a pump to begin with? Why couldn't you just let gravity fill the tank?

russ_watters said:
Then the pressure at the valve is roughly 0 absolute and opening the valve to atmosphere will cause the water level to fall. How much it falls will depend on how the tank is being pressurized. If there is compressed air at the top of the tank, the water level will drop about 10m. If there is no air in the tank and it is just solid water, it will only drop a little and the tank pressure will increase to 5 bar gauge since water is incompressible.

...of course, that begs the question: why do you need a pump to begin with? Why couldn't you just let gravity fill the tank?
Thank you very much, the need for the pump comes from the need for control. The vessel must be remotley flooded at a controlled rate.

The vessel will contain compressed air. Should a dewatering process be required, further compressed air will be pumped into the vessel to 'push' the water the extra 10 m and induce a flow rate

1. How does a centrifugal pump work?

A centrifugal pump uses an impeller to spin and create a centrifugal force, which then pushes water out through a discharge port. The impeller is typically driven by an electric motor.

2. What is the maximum water pressure that can be achieved with a centrifugal pump at a 50m head?

The maximum water pressure that can be achieved with a centrifugal pump at a 50m head is 4 bar gauge, which is equivalent to about 58 psi.

3. How is the water pressure affected by the speed of the centrifugal pump?

The water pressure is directly proportional to the speed of the centrifugal pump. As the speed increases, the water pressure also increases.

4. Can a centrifugal pump be used for other types of fluids besides water?

Yes, a centrifugal pump can be used for other types of fluids besides water, such as chemicals, oils, and slurry. However, the design and materials used may need to be different depending on the type of fluid being pumped.

5. What factors can affect the water pressure at a 50m head with a centrifugal pump?

The main factors that can affect the water pressure at a 50m head include the speed of the pump, the size and design of the impeller, the viscosity of the fluid being pumped, and the condition of the pump and its components.