Centrifugal/Reciprocating Pump Efficiency

In summary: In the case of the pump, you need to know the shaft speed and the pump's efficiency to calculate the power delivered.
Mingsliced

Homework Statement

It is proposed to pump 1500 m3 of a liquid (density 1100 kg m–3) each day through a total head of 10 m (including all losses) by using either a centrifugal pump or a reciprocating pump.

The centrifugal pump discharges 2.0 m3 min–1 when driven by an electric motor supplying a power of 5 kW.

The reciprocating pump has a discharge rate of 1.75 m3 min–1 when driven by an electric motor supplying 3.5 kW.

1) Calculate the efficiency of the pumps.

Homework Equations

Po = QvρGHP

ηp = Po/PI
ηm = PI/Pe
ηo = Po/Pe

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Data Collection

ρ = 1100 kg m–3
G = 9.81 m/s-1
Hp = 10m

Convert flowrate from m3/min-1 to m3/sec-1:

2/60 = 0.033m3/sec-1 for the centrifugal pump.

1.75/60 = 2/60 = 0.029m3/sec-1 for the reciprocating pump.

Calculate output power of the centrifugal pump:

Po = QvρGHP

Po = 0.033 * 1100 * 9.81 * 10

Po = 3561.03 Watts

Calculate centrifugal pump efficiency:

ηp = Po/PI * 100

ηp = 3561.03/5000 * 100

ηp = 0.712 * 100

ηp = 71.2% efficiency

I'm a little bit stumped from this point on as I cannot calculate the overall efficiency of each pump without knowing the electrical input power, Pe or even the motor efficiency. Should I assume that the motor is running at 100% efficiency and that the electrical input power Pe is the same as the input power to pump PI?

If not, is there a way that I can calculate Pe without knowing the overall/motor efficiency?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Mingsliced said:
I'm a little bit stumped from this point on as I cannot calculate the overall efficiency of each pump without knowing the electrical input power, Pe or even the motor efficiency. Should I assume that the motor is running at 100% efficiency and that the electrical input power Pe is the same as the input power to pump PI?

If not, is there a way that I can calculate Pe without knowing the overall/motor efficiency?

Cheers!

In the real world, we consult the manufacturer. They have this pump curve which are based on the actual test of the size and other essential parameters of pumps and you have corresponding plots for hydraulic efficiency, might as well the minimum electrical power or motor match with the corresponding pump. I hope this helps.

Mingsliced said:

Are you being asked to calculate the efficiency of the pump, or the motor-pump unit?
For both cases, the power delivered to the pump by the motor is given.

1. What is the difference between centrifugal and reciprocating pump efficiency?

Centrifugal pump efficiency refers to the ratio of the actual power output to the power input, while reciprocating pump efficiency is the ratio of the theoretical power output to the power input. This means that centrifugal pump efficiency takes into account the losses and inefficiencies in the actual operation of the pump, while reciprocating pump efficiency only considers the theoretical output.

2. How is centrifugal/reciprocating pump efficiency calculated?

Centrifugal pump efficiency can be calculated by dividing the water power (actual power output) by the brake power (power input). For reciprocating pumps, efficiency can be calculated by dividing the theoretical power output by the brake power.

3. How does pump speed affect efficiency?

Pump speed can have a significant impact on both centrifugal and reciprocating pump efficiency. In general, increasing the pump speed will increase the efficiency of centrifugal pumps, while decreasing the speed can improve the efficiency of reciprocating pumps. However, the optimal speed for maximum efficiency will vary depending on the specific pump design and operating conditions.

4. What factors can affect centrifugal/reciprocating pump efficiency?

There are several factors that can impact the efficiency of centrifugal and reciprocating pumps. These include pump speed, impeller design, fluid viscosity, pump size, and operating conditions such as discharge pressure and flow rate. Additionally, any wear or damage to the pump components can also affect efficiency.

5. How can pump efficiency be improved?

Pump efficiency can be improved by selecting the right pump for the specific application, maintaining the pump in good condition, and operating it at the optimal speed and operating conditions. Regular maintenance, such as cleaning and replacing worn components, can also help improve efficiency. Additionally, using variable speed drives or other control mechanisms can help optimize pump performance and improve efficiency.