1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centrifuge Problem (Circular Motion)

1. Jan 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Centrifuge rotates at 12000rpm. What is this in radians per second?

If the radius of this centrifuge is 150mm, what is the centripetal acceleration?

2. Relevant equations

v2 / r

v = rω

a = rω2

3. The attempt at a solution

First I converted the 12000rpm to 1256.64 rad/sec.

12000 / 60 = 200 Rev. per minute.

200 x 2∏ = 1256. 64 rad/sec

Onto the centripetal acceleration, I was given a = rω2

a = 0.15 x 1256.642

a= 236871.61 m/s2

I'm just a little thrown off by how incredibly large the number is and I don't really have any idea of how a centrifuge usually moves. Any help?

Would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

I only see one problem in your work, and it's just a simple typo that doesn't change the numbers. See where I fixed it in the quoted text above.

And yes, the acceleration does seem high, but after all that's what centrifuges are for. I used Google to look up some typical specs on labratory-grade centrifuges to see if the acceleration number you calculated is reasonable. The 12,000 rpm given number is pretty fast for the centrifuges that I looked up, but the size is in the typical range.

Convert your acceleration into the number of g's (g = 9.8m/s^2), and compare your answer to what you find on Google. Post what you find so we can see what you are getting...

4. Jan 20, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That acceleration value is fine for a centrifuge. And it is still far away from their limits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted