Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Centripetal Acceleration of washer spin cycle

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

On your first day at work for an appliance manufacturer, you are told to figure out what to do to the period of rotation during a washer spin cycle to triple the centripetal acceleration. You impress your boss by answering immediately.

Express your answer in terms of T.

2. Relevant equations

a=(4pi^2R)/T^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I read the question, and I keep thinking they just want to triple the accleration...which is not the answer. I don't exactly know what they are asking for....

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Using that equation is a bit nasty since T is squared. You can tidy it up by remembering that [itex]R=v^2/a[/itex]. So once you have your equation You pretty much have your answer since you know how the two quantities are related. When one triples the other _______.

4. Oct 7, 2007 #3
    This is part of an online homework and the program keeps telling me I am getting the wrong answer.

It wants the answer in terms of T and I cannot have variables a, v, R or pi in there. I must be making an exteremely dumb mistake......

5. Oct 7, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I said a was proportional to the inverse of T, that is:

[tex] a \propto \frac{1}{T} [/tex]

The you you want 3 x a, what will the above proportionality be? That is what would be done to T to make a 3 times larger?

6. Jan 30, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why have you bumped this thread?

7. Jan 30, 2008 #6
    Help with answer!!

So does anyone have an idea what the answer is?

I have this same question and for the answer they have it setup as

T^3=_____________

Thanks

8. Jan 30, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We don't provide the answers for you here. You have to show some of your own work.

9. Jan 31, 2008 #8
    Try an algebraic approach if you can't get it by thinking about it.

[tex]3a = 3\left[\frac{4\pi^2R}{T^2}\right][/tex]

Now get rid of the 3 on the RHS by determining a coefficient for T within the square.

10. Jan 31, 2008 #9
    Thank you BlindSide Youve been a great help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook