Centripetal Force Lab of string and mass

In summary, the conversation involved discussing an experiment where the weight of different masses was plotted against frequency to find the slope of the line of best fit. There was also a discussion about using this information to find the mass of a rubber stopper, and some advice was given on correcting an error in the calculations. It was noted that the mass of the stopper will differ from the slope of the line of best fit by a factor of 4pi^2r.
reesespieces2

Homework Statement

I had to do a lab, the diagram of which is shown.
ucm_app.gif

The radius (r) of the string was 50.0 cm, and our first mass was 29.0 g. The time for 20 trials was 15.75 s. We repeated the process with five other masses and recorded all the same information. Then, we had to plot the weight (F) of the masses versus the frequency and find the slope of the line of best fit. Our slope came out to be 3.83 (according to Excel).
We also have to use this information to find the mass of the rubber stopper. My attempt at the solution is below but I'm not sure if I did it right. Also, someone else in my class told me that the mass of the stopper should be close to the slope of the line of best fit, but mine was way off. Is that true?

Homework Equations

F = m4π2r/T2

The Attempt at a Solution

F = m4π2r/T2
0.284N = m(4)(π2)(.5m)/(.62s)
m = 0.0089 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting experiment (how did you manage to keep the mass on the bottom from oscillating up and down??). Looking at your calculations, there was a tiny error regarding Period and Frequency. Frequency is 1/T where T = 15.75 s for your trial. But you divided by this number (1/15.75) instead of multiplying it! Perhaps you should reevaluate your calculations a bit and then try it out again. I can tell you now that the mass of the stopper will not be close to the line of the best fit. It will differ by a factor of 4pi^2r (As you have unknowingly indicated in your equation).

Also, you should try to plot against f^2 and not f (frequency)

Best of luck!
PL

Last edited:

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force measured?

Centripetal force can be measured by using a spring scale to measure the tension in a string or other device that is providing the centripetal force.

3. What is the purpose of a centripetal force lab?

The purpose of a centripetal force lab is to investigate the relationship between the centripetal force, mass, velocity, and radius of an object in circular motion.

4. How is the centripetal force of an object affected by its mass?

The centripetal force of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, the centripetal force required to keep it in circular motion also increases.

5. What factors affect the centripetal force of an object?

The centripetal force of an object is affected by its mass, velocity, and radius. As any of these factors change, the centripetal force needed to keep the object in circular motion will also change.