How Do You Calculate the Centripetal Force of a Whirling Ball?

In summary, a 38g ball suspended from a 59cm string is whirled in a horizontal circle. With a gravitational acceleration of 9.8m/s2 and the string making a 31o angle with the vertical, the centripetal force experienced by the ball can be found using trigonometry and the tension of the string. The radius is calculated to be 30.3872m, and the tension can be found by setting the force along the x-axis equal to the weight of the ball.
smileyjen523
a small ball of mass 38g is suspended from a string a length 59cm, and whirled in a circle lying in the horizontal plane. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s2. if the string makes an angle of 31o with the vertical, find the centripetal froce experienced by the ball.

here's the diagram:(the best i can do) it looks like a triangle when i view it but then it goes all weird in the actual view. sorry.
l\
l \
l \ 59cm
l \
l \
l O=38g

then there's the dotted lined circle drawn, but i don't know how to do that here.

ok, so first i found the radius using trig and got it to be 30.3872m. then i was going to find velocity, but then i don't know how to do that. help would be greatly appreciated. thanks sooo much.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the force to fing the centripetal force. The CF is equal to the tension of the the string along the x-axis. Since you know the angle of the string, all that you need is to find the tension of the string:
Fc = Tsin(31)
since the ball has no acceleration along the y-axis you can write:
Tcos(31) = 38*9.8 (mg)

and find the tension:)

sorry, I wanted to say that you don't need the SPEED to find the centripetal force.

Code:
l\
l \
l  \  59cm
l   \
l    \
l     \[SIZE="5"]O[/SIZE]=38g
enclose your diagram in [ code ] tags. It helps formatting a bit, though you may still have to nudge it.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = (mv^2)/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What factors affect centripetal force?

The factors that affect centripetal force are the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the radius of the circular path.

How does centripetal force differ from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to push an object away from the center of rotation. However, centrifugal force is actually just an apparent force and does not actually exist.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some real-life examples of centripetal force include the force that keeps a satellite in orbit around the Earth, the force that keeps a car moving around a curve, and the force that keeps a bucket of water moving in a vertical circle when swung around.