1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal force problem

1. Oct 22, 2005 #1
    a small ball of mass 38g is suspended from a string a length 59cm, and whirled in a circle lying in the horizontal plane. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s2. if the string makes an angle of 31o with the vertical, find the centripetal froce experienced by the ball.

here's the diagram:(the best i can do) it looks like a triangle when i view it but then it goes all weird in the actual view. sorry.
    l\
    l \
    l \ 59cm
    l \
    l \
    l O=38g

then there's the dotted lined circle drawn, but i don't know how to do that here.

ok, so first i found the radius using trig and got it to be 30.3872m. then i was going to find velocity, but then i don't know how to do that. help would be greatly appreciated. thanks sooo much.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

You don't need the force to fing the centripetal force. The CF is equal to the tension of the the string along the x-axis. Since you know the angle of the string, all that you need is to find the tension of the string:
    Fc = Tsin(31)
    since the ball has no acceleration along the y-axis you can write:
    Tcos(31) = 38*9.8 (mg)

and find the tension:)

4. Oct 22, 2005 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

sorry, I wanted to say that you dont need the SPEED to find the centripetal force.

5. Oct 22, 2005 #4

Fermat

Homework Helper

Code (Text):

l\
    l \
    l  \  59cm
    l   \
    l    \
    l     \[SIZE="5"]O[/SIZE]=38g
    enclose your diagram in [ code ] tags. It helps formatting a bit, though you may still have to nudge it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?