Centripetal Force Homework: Minibus, Mass 1.6 Tonnes, 25m Radius, 72km/h Speed

In summary, a minibus of mass 1.6 tonnes is traveling at a steady speed of 72km/h around a bend with a radius of 25m. The centripetal force acting on the vehicle is 25,600N and the minimum coefficient of sideways friction between the tyres and the road is 1.631. This may seem high, but coefficients of friction can be greater than 1 in certain situations.
raphile

Homework Statement

A minibus of mass 1.6 tonnes is rounding a flat bend of constant radius 25m at a steady speed of 72km/h. Find the centripetal force acting on the vehicle. What is the minimum co-efficient of sideways friction between the tyres and the road for this motion to take place without skidding?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I knew how to do this. Using mv^2/r, I got the centripetal force to be 25,600N (changing the speed into from km/h to m/s). Then, for the co-efficient of friction (denote as u), I used uR = u(mg) = mv^2/r and got, by taking g=9.81, an answer of u=1.631.

But I thought co-efficients of friction were supposed to be less than 1. An answer of 1.631 seems a bit high. Is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct. [tex]\mu_[/tex] is not always <1. Since [tex]\mu>1[/tex], what do you think is happening?

I would like to clarify that the calculation for the centripetal force is correct, assuming that the minibus is traveling in a circular motion at a constant speed of 72km/h. However, the calculation for the coefficient of friction is not accurate. The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity and cannot be equal to the value of 1.631.

To calculate the coefficient of friction, we can use the formula u = v^2/(rg), where v is the linear speed, r is the radius of the circle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Substituting the values given in the problem, we get u = (20m/s)^2 / (25m)(9.81m/s^2) = 1.63.

This value is within the range of typical coefficients of friction for rubber tires on dry pavement, which can range from 0.7 to 1.0. Therefore, the minimum coefficient of friction needed for the minibus to travel around the bend without skidding is approximately 1.63.

It is important to note that this calculation assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account any external factors that may affect the motion of the minibus, such as road conditions or the condition of the tires. Further analysis and experimentation may be needed to accurately determine the coefficient of friction in real-world scenarios.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular motion. It is always directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the equation F = mv^2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. How is the mass of the minibus relevant to the centripetal force?

The mass of the minibus is a crucial factor in determining the centripetal force. The larger the mass, the greater the force needed to keep it in a circular motion at a given speed and radius.

4. What is the effect of increasing the speed on the centripetal force?

Increasing the speed of the minibus will also increase the centripetal force needed to keep it in a circular motion. This is because the faster the minibus is moving, the greater the force needed to overcome its inertia and maintain its circular path.

5. How does changing the radius affect the centripetal force?

Changing the radius of the minibus's circular path will also affect the centripetal force. The smaller the radius, the greater the force needed to keep the minibus in a circular motion at a given speed.