1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Forces

1. Jun 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A minibus of mass 1.6 tonnes is rounding a flat bend of constant radius 25m at a steady speed of 72km/h. Find the centripetal force acting on the vehicle. What is the minimum co-efficient of sideways friction between the tyres and the road for this motion to take place without skidding?

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought I knew how to do this. Using mv^2/r, I got the centripetal force to be 25,600N (changing the speed into from km/h to m/s). Then, for the co-efficient of friction (denote as u), I used uR = u(mg) = mv^2/r and got, by taking g=9.81, an answer of u=1.631.

But I thought co-efficients of friction were supposed to be less than 1. An answer of 1.631 seems a bit high. Is it right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2008 #2
    Your answers are correct. [tex]\mu_[/tex] is not always <1. Since [tex]\mu>1[/tex], what do you think is happening?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?