Centripetal Motion Homework: Magnitude, Components, Relation

In summary: This is a three-part question. In summary, the centripetal acceleration is usually a_c=v^2/r, but it can be different if the radius is not exactly at the full length. Components of forces are information on all the forces acting on the mass, and revising it includes verifying the relation between the centripetal force and the angular speed. Lastly, it is not clear how the relation between angular velocity and linear velocity is relevant to centripetal force.
kateman

Homework Statement

this is a three part question (this i just a general thing for equations without numbers) for an object (the same as explained on this link: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=167283) but the string is not quite horizontal i.e. the r will be r cos theta because it will be a right angle triangle:

1. calculate the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration acting on a mass moving in a circular path at constant speed.
2. revise "components of forces"
3. verify the relation between the centripetal force acting on a body and the angular speed of the body.

and would i also be right is saying that a varying radius for a constant velocity isn't a problem since v = rw = 2pier/rw = 2pie/w

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here's how i read them, please let me know if iam wrong or right!

1.centripetal force is usually a_c=v^2/r but since it isn't exactly at the full radius length since it forms (what we will call) a perfect right angle triangle, wouldn't it be the same radius and would be instead a_c = v^2/r cos theta

2. "components of forces", i guess this means all the forces acting upon the moving weight i.e. gravity, centripetal force, acceleration and how they all equate to the the weight just spinning there.

3. This iam not sure how to start. help would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
kateman said:
and would i also be right is saying that a varying radius for a constant velocity isn't a problem since v = rw = 2pier/rw = 2pie/w
Your green relationship is correct but I'm not sure where your going with the rest of it...
kateman said:
1.centripetal force is usually a_c=v^2/r but since it isn't exactly at the full radius length since it forms (what we will call) a perfect right angle triangle, wouldn't it be the same radius and would be instead a_c = v^2/r cos theta
Sounds good to me
kateman said:
2. "components of forces", i guess this means all the forces acting upon the moving weight i.e. gravity, centripetal force, acceleration and how they all equate to the the weight just spinning there.
Components [of vectors] means the values of these vectors in some specific direction; usually this is the horizontal and vertical directions. So I would examine all the forces, and split them up into their horizontal and vertical components and see how they relate to each other.
kateman said:
3. This iam not sure how to start. help would be appreciated :)
Well, do you know the relationship between the centripetal force and the angular velocity?

1. ahh my bad. see that was a comb equation from v=rw and v= 2pier/t
and hence t = 2 pie r/rw

2. that makes sense, i just wanted to re-confirm, cheers

3. F_c= mv^2/r

angular velocity = w = theta/time

just don't see how that relates

kateman said:
3. F_c= mv^2/r

angular velocity = w = theta/time

just don't see how that relates
Do you know a relation between angular velocity and linear velocity?

v=s/t
w=theta/t

t=s/v
t=theta/w

s/v=theta/w

v= s x w/ theta

F_c=mv^2/r

= m(s x w/theta)^2/r

is that what your getting at? if so, then is that really a relation between centripetal force and angular velocity?

just to clarify for question two; are the only forces acting upon this gravity and centripetal or are there others?
i could see how (if we assume friction negligible with a glass rod and nylon thread) that there are other forces in action.

thank-you for your patience :)

i asked my teacher about the relation i had between centripetal motion and angular velocity and he said that you can't compare angular velocity and linear velocity.

edit: wait, i just found this equation; v=rw

okay, i understand that but i really need to know how that relates to centripetal force tonight. unless of course you mean F_c= mv^2/r = m (rw)^2/r

also a reminder about my second question; is centripetal, weight and gravitational the only forces acting upon this whole thing (if friction and air resistance not included)?

Last edited:
kateman said:
i asked my teacher about the relation i had between centripetal motion and angular velocity and he said that you can't compare angular velocity and linear velocity.

edit: wait, i just found this equation; v=rw

okay, i understand that but i really need to know how that relates to centripetal force tonight. unless of course you mean F_c= mv^2/r = m (rw)^2/r
That's exacatly what I mean :approve:
kateman said:
also a reminder about my second question; is centripetal, weight and gravitational the only forces acting upon this whole thing (if friction and air resistance not included)?
The centripetal force isn't actually a force in itself, in this case the centripetal force is provided by the horizontal component of the tension in the string. In addition, the weight of the object is the same as the gravitational force.

I apologise if this is too late to help you [different time zones].

right so the: F_c=m (rw)^2/ = mr^2w^2/r= mrw^2

am i right to say that arnt i?

as for the other question; that all makes sense. so the centripetal force is the tension in the string (your better at explaining than my teacher).

and no, you have helped me just in time
thank-you very much hootenanny :)

kateman said:
right so the: F_c=m (rw)^2/ = mr^2w^2/r= mrw^2

am i right to say that arnt i?
Yup, spot on :approve:
kateman said:
as for the other question; that all makes sense. so the centripetal force is the tension in the string (your better at explaining than my teacher).
Almost, the horizontal component of the tension provides the centripetal force, i.e. the 'bit' of the tension that's pointing towards the centre of the circle.
kateman said:
and no, you have helped me just in time
thank-you very much hootenanny :)
A pleasure :smile:

Related to Centripetal Motion Homework: Magnitude, Components, Relation

1. What is centripetal motion?

Centripetal motion is the motion of an object in a circular path. It is characterized by a constant inward force, known as the centripetal force, which keeps the object moving in a circular trajectory.

2. What is the magnitude of centripetal force?

The magnitude of centripetal force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity, divided by the radius of the circular path it is moving in. This can be represented by the formula Fc = mv²/r.

3. What are the components of centripetal force?

The components of centripetal force are the tangential component and the radial component. The tangential component is parallel to the velocity of the object, while the radial component is perpendicular to the velocity and points towards the center of the circular path.

4. How is centripetal force related to centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly related, as centripetal force is responsible for causing centripetal acceleration in an object. The centripetal acceleration is equal to the square of the velocity divided by the radius of the circular path, and can also be represented by the formula ac = v²/r.

5. How does centripetal force affect the motion of an object?

Centripetal force plays a crucial role in maintaining the circular motion of an object. It causes the object to continuously change direction, resulting in circular motion. When the centripetal force is removed or becomes unbalanced, the object will no longer move in a circular path and will instead move in a straight line.