Solving the Puzzling Physics Problem: Chain Falling Off Table

In summary, the chain falls off the table and starts to fall. It has a vertical acceleration of mgL at the instant it falls.
No Name Required
I have this question which is confusing as it should be harder than it appears...

A uniform chain of length [tex]L[/tex] lays on a frictionless table top. Suppose one link just hangs over the table's edge so that the chain begins to fall.

Let [tex]x[/tex] be the amount of chain that has fallen. What is the chains vertical acceleration at this instant.

I started off trying to use conservation of energy
(with the zero potential line being a distance [tex]L[/tex] below the table top).

I went with

[tex]mgL = (L - x)mgL + xmg\left(L - \frac{1}{2}x\right) + \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

which led to

[tex]v^2 = gx^2 + 2gL(1 - L)[/tex]

Now firstly I am not sure if this is correct. If it is then what is my next step?

Secondly, I started thinking is the problem maybe a pretty simple differential equation from Newtons second law?

Or can it be done both ways?

Physics news on Phys.org
No Name Required said:
I went with

[tex]mgL = (L - x)mgL + xmg\left(L - \frac{1}{2}x\right) + \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
Realize that your units don't match--you have an extra L floating around in two of your right side terms. Redo this.

Also realize that you are assuming that the chain is laid out in a straight line so that it moves with a single speed. (Sounds like a good assumption.)
Now firstly I am not sure if this is correct. If it is then what is my next step?
It's wrong, as noted. But once you get the correct expression for v, just take a derivative.

Secondly, I started thinking is the problem maybe a pretty simple differential equation from Newtons second law?
Sure. Just consider the forces acting on the chain.

Or can it be done both ways?
Absolutely!

At your right hand side, you may want to replace the m by the density m/L in the first and second term, otherwise the equation seems cool

and your way is not the best way(easiest way) to attack this problem. try to find the force directly.. (the only force here is gravity) and the acceleration is F/m

the force should be depend on time F=F(t), but the problem is asking you to solve F(x), therefore, you don't need do solve the differential equation

Ah rite k, thankyou :smile:

It should correctly be

[tex]mgL = (L - x)mg + xmg\left(L - \frac{1}{2}x\right) + \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex] yes?

If this is right, you say take the derivative... Is this with respect to t?
(in order to get [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex])

If this is so i found

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{g - gL + xg}{\sqrt{2xg - 2xgl +x^2g}}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

This looks wrong except for the fact that [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = v[/tex] i suppose...

Ill look further into the differential equation solution.

No Name Required said:
It should correctly be

[tex]mgL = (L - x)mg + xmg\left(L - \frac{1}{2}x\right) + \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex] yes?
Getting closer--now only one term is wrong. :smile:
It should look like this:
[tex]mgL = (L - x)mg + xmg(L - \frac{1}{2}x)/L + \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

You'll find that this expression simplifies nicely, giving you a simple expression for v as a function of x.

If this is right, you say take the derivative... Is this with respect to t?
(in order to get [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex])
That is correct.

If this is so i found

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{g - gL + xg}{\sqrt{2xg - 2xgl +x^2g}}\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
Wrong, for reasons stated above. Once you get the correct expression for v, taking the derivative will give you the acceleration.

This looks wrong except for the fact that [tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = v[/tex] i suppose...
Yes, you will need to use this fact.

Ill look further into the differential equation solution.
Don't give up on the above solution. Once you get the right initial expression, the answer comes easy.

But definitely do it using Newton's 2nd law also. Don't worry about differential equations... all you need is F = ma.

Of course, you'll get the same answer. :wink:

take the derivative of the WHOLE THING, the algebra will much much simpler...

[tex]\frac{d}{dt} [mgL] = \frac{d}{dt} [(L - x)mg + xmg/L \left(L - \frac{1}{2}x\right) + \frac{1}{2}mv^2][/tex]

because of the chain rule, ALL (non-zero) TERMS has a v... therefore, you can cancel the v by dividing the whole equation by v...
and you will get dv/dt as a function of x only...(which is what your original problem asking you to do)

BTW, why don't u apply F=ma directly... obviously, F= mgx/L and a=mx/L...

Just a note. Problem would have been much simplified if the tabel top was used as the zero potantial level.

Gamma said:
Problem would have been much simplified if the tabel top was used as the zero potantial level.
This is true! (That's how I would do it. :smile:) But regardless of zero level, the expression simplifies immediately.

Thankyou!

Ah yes, all is clear now :smile:
Thankyou all very much for your help. Its much appreciated.

1. How does the chain falling off the table relate to physics?

The chain falling off the table is a classic example of the application of Newton's laws of motion. It involves the concepts of gravity, acceleration, and force, which are fundamental principles in physics.

2. What factors affect the speed at which the chain falls off the table?

The speed at which the chain falls off the table is affected by several factors, including the height of the table, the weight and length of the chain, and the force of gravity. The angle at which the chain is dropped can also impact its speed.

3. How can we calculate the acceleration of the falling chain?

To calculate the acceleration of the falling chain, we can use the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force acting on the chain, and m is the mass of the chain. We can also use the formula a = gsinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and θ is the angle at which the chain is dropped.

4. Is the chain's speed constant as it falls off the table?

No, the chain's speed is not constant as it falls off the table. According to Newton's second law of motion, the chain's speed will increase as it falls due to the constant force of gravity acting on it. However, air resistance and friction may also play a role in slowing down the chain's speed.

5. Can we use this physics problem to understand other real-world scenarios?

Yes, the principles involved in solving the chain falling off the table problem can be applied to many other real-world scenarios. For example, it can help us understand the motion of objects falling from a height, the behavior of pendulums, and more complex systems involving multiple forces and accelerations.