Chain Rule Differentiation: Simplifying Trigonometric Expressions

In summary, the solution provided by the teacher involved using the outside inside method to simplify the expression ##(1+\cos(2x)) + (1-\cos(2x))##. The differentiation was then done from line 1 to line 2 and the remaining steps were just tidying up the expression. The equality from line 3 to line 4 followed from the fact that ##2\sin(2x)(1 + \cos(2x)) + 2\sin(2x)(1 - \cos(2x))## is equal to ##4\sin(2x)##.
grace77
The question:
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1402924990.055025.jpg

This is the solution that was given by my teacher

Attempt:

I understand how the work is done until the 3-4 line. Where did the 1-cos2x disappear to in the 4th line?
I know you can use the outside inside method but try as I might, I can't seem to understand how the final answer was gotten??

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing here??

Physics news on Phys.org
What is ##(1+\cos(2x)) + (1-\cos(2x))## ?

The differentiation is done from line 1 to line 2. The rest is just tidying things up a little. The equality from line 3 to line 4 follows simply because

\begin{equation*}
2\sin(2x)(1 + \cos(2x)) + 2\sin(2x)(1 - \cos(2x)) =2 \sin(2x)( 1 + \cos(2x) + 1 - \cos(2x)) = 4 \sin(2x).
\end{equation*}

What is the chain rule in differentiation?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

Why is the chain rule important in calculus?

The chain rule is important in calculus because it allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions that are composed of simpler functions. It is a fundamental tool in solving problems related to optimization, rates of change, and related rates.

Can you provide an example of using the chain rule in differentiation?

For example, if we have the function f(x) = (2x+1)^2, we can use the chain rule to find its derivative as follows: f'(x) = 2(2x+1)(2) = 4(2x+1) = 8x+4.

How do you apply the chain rule to functions with multiple layers?

To apply the chain rule to functions with multiple layers, we work from the inside out. The derivative of the innermost function is calculated first, and then multiplied by the derivatives of the outer functions as we work our way outwards.

Are there any exceptions to the chain rule?

Yes, there are some functions that do not follow the chain rule, such as functions with discontinuities or functions that are not differentiable. In these cases, we must use other methods to find the derivative.