Chair leg pressure problem geez

• Thread starter caseys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the problem involves finding the pressure exerted on the floor by each leg of a chair with a 63kg person sitting on it. The pressure is the same for all four legs and can be calculated using the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. The total force is equal to the total weight of the person and chair, and the total area is the sum of the areas of all four legs. After plugging in the given values, the pressure is found to be 1.44E6 N/m^2 for each leg.
caseys
Chair leg pressure problem...geez

Homework Statement

A 63kg person sitting on 3.5kg chair. Four legs contact the floor, each leg with circle 1.2cm in diameter. Find pressure exerted on floor by each leg of chair (weight evenly distributed).

Homework Equations

[{(person mass) + (chair mass)} * (9.81)] / pi (radius contact circle in meters)(4 chair legs)

The Attempt at a Solution

63kg + 3.5kg = 66.5kg total

1.2cm diameter = 0.6cm radius = 0.006m radius

area = 0.00011304 m^2 each leg
area total four chair legs = 0.00045216 m^2

P = F/A

{(66.5)(9.81)} / 0.00045216 = 1442774.68 N/m^2

...thus for one leg = 360693.67 N/m^2

answer of 3.6E5 and 3.61E5 incorrect.

Answer unit requested is Pa.

What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure is the same for all four legs. You shouldn't have divided by 4.

Pressure (on each/all chair leg(s)) = (total force) / (total area) = (partial force) / (partial area)

Goofy err on my part. Actually had the answer correct the first time with 1442774.68 but posted my answer as 1.4E6...the correct way to post my answer was 1.44E6

Thank you

1. What is the chair leg pressure problem?

The chair leg pressure problem refers to the issue of uneven weight distribution on the legs of a chair, causing one or more legs to sink lower than the others. This can make the chair unstable and potentially lead to injury.

2. What causes the chair leg pressure problem?

The chair leg pressure problem can be caused by various factors, such as uneven flooring, uneven weight distribution on the chair, or wear and tear on the chair legs. It can also be a result of using the chair on uneven surfaces or placing heavy objects on the chair.

3. How can I prevent the chair leg pressure problem?

To prevent the chair leg pressure problem, it is important to regularly check the stability of your chair and replace any worn or damaged legs. You can also use furniture pads or coasters under the legs to distribute weight more evenly and protect your flooring.

4. What are the consequences of ignoring the chair leg pressure problem?

Ignoring the chair leg pressure problem can lead to injury as the chair may collapse or tip over unexpectedly. It can also cause damage to your flooring and potentially lead to costly repairs. It is important to address this issue promptly to avoid any potential hazards.

5. What are some solutions for fixing the chair leg pressure problem?

There are a few solutions for fixing the chair leg pressure problem, including replacing the legs, using furniture pads or coasters, or adding additional support to the legs. If the problem persists, it may be necessary to replace the entire chair to ensure safety and stability.