Challenging Qns On Work Energy Power

In summary: GGot it!In summary, Dave falls 55m before the bungee cord begins to stretch, assuming his mass is 75kg and the elastic constant is 50N/m and neglecting air resistance and the mass of the cord. The height is calculated using the formulas for gravitational potential energy and elastic potential energy, equating them together to solve for X. The force is indirectly used through the conservation of energy equation.
Delzac
hi i have a Qns.

Dave jumps off a bridge with a bungee cord( a stretchable cord) tied around his ankle. He falls for 15m before the bungee cord begins to stretch. Dave's mass is 75kg and we assume the cord obeys Hook's law with elastic constant, k= 50N/m. if we neglect air resistance and the mass of the cord, calculate how far below the bridge Dave will fall before coming to a stop.

i understand that i have to use the formula F=Ke and i need to find F.
how should i go about finding it? which formula to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider conservation of energy.

Got it!

Let X be the height Dave fall before comin to a stop
Let e be the extension of bungee cord.

GPE=mgh
=(75)(9.82)(X)

Elastic Potential Energy= 1/2Ke^2
= 1/2(50)(X-15)^2

Equate it together and X = 55m.

However can't u sovle by finding Force??

Delzac said:
There's no direct way to use F=ke to solve for e (if that's what you mean), since both F and e are unknowns.

Delzac said:
Got it!

Let X be the height Dave fall before comin to a stop
Let e be the extension of bungee cord.

GPE=mgh
=(75)(9.82)(X)

Elastic Potential Energy= 1/2Ke^2
= 1/2(50)(X-15)^2

Equate it together and X = 55m.

You are indirectly using force when you use energy. The incremental potential energy stored in the cord is dU = Fde, so total potential energy is:

[tex]U = \int_{0}^{e_f}Fde = \int_{0}^{e_f}Kede = \frac{1}{2}Ke_f^2[/tex]

[Note: Ke is spring constant x extension, not Kinetic energy]

AM

1. What is the definition of work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The equation for work is W = F * d.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related. Work is the transfer of energy, and energy is the ability to do work. The work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy.

4. What is power and how is it related to work?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it takes to do the work. The more power an object has, the faster it can do work.

5. Can work and energy be negative?

Yes, work and energy can be negative. When a force is applied in the opposite direction of an object's motion, the work done is negative. This indicates that the object is losing energy. However, in most cases, work and energy are positive values.