Change in elect. PE given work, KE, charge

In summary, the work done by an external force to move a -8.4*10^-6C charge from point a to point b is 1.9*10^3J. The charge started at rest and had 4.81*10^4J of KE when it reached point B. The change in PE of the charge is 4.99*10^4J.
kevnm67

Homework Statement

The work done by an external force to move a -8.4*10^-6C charge from point a to point b is 1.9*10^3J. If the charge was started at rest and has 4.81*10^4J of KE when it reach pt. B, what's the change in PE of the charge?

Homework Equations

Not sure
W=change in U
PE=KE

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried a few things but I am just not sure how to approach this problem. I attempted V=Uelect/q and W= change in U, U=qV... just looking for some direction, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
kevnm67 said:
Not sure
W=change in U
PE=KE
Two points of contention:
i) The work done on a system increases the total energy of the system, not just the potential energy
ii) Why must PE = KE ?? PE = KE is actually a statement demonstrating the case when there is purely conversion of energy from kinetic to potential or vice versa without any additional energy input into the system.

hi kevnm67! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
kevnm67 said:
The work done by an external force to move a -8.4*10^-6C charge from point a to point b is 1.9*10^3J. If the charge was started at rest and has 4.81*10^4J of KE when it reach pt. B, what's the change in PE of the charge?

i don't think the amount of the charge, or the fact that the field is electric, has anything to do with the question :rolleyes:

you're given ∆KE and W, and you're asked for ∆PE :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi kevnm67! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

i don't think the amount of the charge, or the fact that the field is electric, has anything to do with the question :rolleyes:

you're given ∆KE and W, and you're asked for ∆PE :wink:

Thanks for the responses.

OK, so I am still not sure. Work= change in Uelect. and Uelect.= q'V?

So what exactly is going on here? You have a charge that moves in a straight line from its initial position (where KE=0) to point B where it has 4.81x104J. The question asks for change in PE. So it has more PE at point A? and looses it to KE as it moves to B? How do you determine which equations to use and why? I am confused and have not seen a question like this so I completely lost. I appreciate the help

hikevnm67! :smile:

I don't think it matters whether it goes in a straight line or not …

try using just W = ∆KE + ∆PE :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hikevnm67! :smile:

I don't think it matters whether it goes in a straight line or not …

try using just W = ∆KE + ∆PE :wink:

OK, I figured out why I started to try to come up with a nonsense explanation...Thanks Tim, your correct and this was the first thing I tried and could not figure out why I did not get the correct answer. This question is from an old exam my professor posted and my mac deleted the negative sign in front of the exponents so my answer was a little off :)

Thanks for your help!

FAQ: Change in elect. PE given work, KE, charge

1. How is electrical potential energy related to work, kinetic energy, and charge?

Electrical potential energy (PE) is the energy stored in an electric field due to the arrangement of charges. This energy can be converted into work, which is the transfer of energy from one system to another. As a charge moves through an electric field, it gains kinetic energy (KE) due to the work done by the field. The change in electrical potential energy is equal to the negative of the work done by the field, and is also related to the charge of the particle.

2. What factors affect the change in electrical potential energy?

The change in electrical potential energy depends on the amount of work done by the electric field, the charge of the particle, and the distance the particle moves through the field. It is also affected by the direction of the electric field and the direction of the particle's motion.

3. How does the change in electrical potential energy affect the movement of a charged particle?

The change in electrical potential energy determines the amount of kinetic energy gained by a charged particle as it moves through an electric field. This kinetic energy affects the speed and direction of the particle's movement. The higher the change in potential energy, the greater the particle's kinetic energy and the faster it will move.

4. Can the change in electrical potential energy be negative?

Yes, the change in electrical potential energy can be negative. This means that the particle is losing potential energy and gaining kinetic energy as it moves through the electric field. For example, if a positive charge is moving towards a negative charge, the work done by the field will be negative and the change in potential energy will also be negative.

5. How is the change in electrical potential energy calculated?

The change in electrical potential energy is calculated using the formula ΔPE = -W = -qEd, where ΔPE is the change in potential energy, W is the work done by the electric field, q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance the particle moves through the field.