Change in electric field of charged particle

In summary: Thus at very relativistic velocities, the electric field of a charged particle becomes a purely transverse magnetic field with an opening angle of 1/γ.
arul_k
It is known that the motion of a charged particle creats a magnetic field and also at speeds approaching c there will be an increase in its relativistic mass, but what effect does motion of a charged particle have on the magnitude of its electric field (Couloumb force). From what I know at velocities much less than c there appears to be no effect on the magnitude of the electric field but as its velocity approaches c the entire electric field converts to a magnetic field. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi arul_k! :smile:
arul_k said:
From what I know at velocities much less than c there appears to be no effect on the magnitude of the electric field but as its velocity approaches c the entire electric field converts to a magnetic field. Is this correct?

Not quite …

the magnetic field becomes stronger, but E2 - B2 is a constant, and since it starts positive, it stays there, and |E| is always greater than |B|.

(also, E.B is constant, and it starts zero, so E and B are always perpendicular)

The transverse electric field Eperp is multiplied by a factor γ as the velocity approaches c. The longitudinal component of E is not changed. There is also a transverse magnetic field. See the last four Lorentz-transformation equations in

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/reviews/rpp2009-rev-electromag-relations.pdf

Bob S

arul_k said:
It is known that the motion of a charged particle creats a magnetic field and also at speeds approaching c there will be an increase in its relativistic mass, but what effect does motion of a charged particle have on the magnitude of its electric field (Couloumb force). From what I know at velocities much less than c there appears to be no effect on the magnitude of the electric field but as its velocity approaches c the entire electric field converts to a magnetic field. Is this correct?

You might find it helpful to index "the fields of a point charge moving with constant velocity" (or something to that effect) in an EM text or two. Yes, assuming the charge's velocity is constant, E differs little from the electrostatic field when v<<c. At speeds approaching c, E increases "to the sides" of the moving charge. And of course there is a magnetic field when the charge moves. As v approaches c, E and B "to the sides" approach infinity! If you own or can borrow a copy of "Introduction to Electrodynamics", 2nd Edition, David J. Griffiths, then the exact formula for E is provided in Eq. 10.103.

Thanks for the replies. Would it be right to say that the magnitude of E has no relation to the formation of the magnetic field of a moving charged particle i.e the magnitude of E and B are independent of each other.

arul_k said:
Thanks for the replies. Would it be right to say that the magnitude of E has no relation to the formation of the magnetic field of a moving charged particle i.e the magnitude of E and B are independent of each other.

No, that would not be right. For a charge moving with constant velocity, B is related to E by B = v X E / c^2, where v is the charge's velocity.

GRDixon said:
No, that would not be right. For a charge moving with constant velocity, B is related to E by B = v X E / c^2, where v is the charge's velocity.

Right, I didn't quiet word my question correctly, what I wished to ask was does the creation of the magnetic field result in a change in the magnitude of the electric field of the charged particle.

tiny-tim said:
Hi arul_k! :smile:

Not quite …

the magnetic field becomes stronger, but E2 - B2 is a constant, and since it starts positive, it stays there, and |E| is always greater than |B|.

When you say that E is greater than B do you mean that the force generated by the E field i s greater than that of the B field

arul_k said:
Right, I didn't quiet word my question correctly, what I wished to ask was does the creation of the magnetic field result in a change in the magnitude of the electric field of the charged particle.
If you look at the Lorentz transformation of fields in the LBL PDG website (see last fourl ines):
http://pdg.lbl.gov/2009/reviews/rpp2009-rev-electromag-relations.pdf
you will see (from the second of the four equations) that the transverse electric field is increased by a factor γ, while the longitudinal field is unchanged. What is not shown is that the relativistic contraction of longitudinal length causes angles to increase, and this in turn compresses the transverse electric field from isotropic (for a stationary charge) to a purely transverse electric field with an opening angle of 1/γ.
For a particle traveling in the direction x, an angle θ transforms as

tan θ' = tan y'/x'= tan γθ = tan γy/x

Thus at very relativistic velocities, the electric field is a flat disc normal to the velocity.

Bob S.

[added] Although it may be counter-intuitive, a relativistic charged particle does not "drag" the electric field like a shock wave. The peak electric field is at right angles to the velocity, as seen above. If the electric field were dragged, then the Poynting vector would imply that the charged particle were losing (or radiating) energy, which is not the case with a constant velocity particle in free space. In the case of a relativistic charged particle inside a vacuum tube, there are image currents in the vacuum conducting tube wall. If the vacuum tube wall is resistive, there is power loss in the vacuum tube wall, and the electric field is dragged, meaning that the Poynting vector is pointing outward (as it must)

If there is no magnetic field B in the unprimed system, then the electric field is exactly as I described above. The electric field in the unprimed system does produce a transverse magnetic field in the primed system, but that was not part of your question.

Last edited:
arul_k said:
When you say that E is greater than B do you mean that the force generated by the E field i s greater than that of the B field

Yes …

the strength of the E field is greater than that of the B field,

but the forces are qE and qvxB/c, where v is the velocity of the particle, and c is the speed of light …

so the force generated by the E field depends only on the charge of the particle, but the force generated by the B field depends also on the speed and direction of the particle, but since v/c must be < 1, |qE| is always greater than |qvxB/c|. :smile:

Related to Change in electric field of charged particle

1. What is an electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle experiences in the presence of other charges. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How does a charged particle affect the electric field around it?

A charged particle creates an electric field around it that extends outwards in all directions. The strength of the electric field decreases with distance from the particle and is directly proportional to the charge of the particle.

3. How does the electric field change when a charged particle moves?

When a charged particle moves, its electric field also changes. The strength of the electric field decreases with distance from the particle, but it also changes in direction and magnitude as the particle moves.

4. What factors can cause a change in the electric field of a charged particle?

The electric field of a charged particle can be changed by altering the charge or position of the particle, or by introducing other charged particles into its vicinity. Changes in the electric field can also be caused by external electric or magnetic fields.

5. How is the change in electric field of a charged particle measured?

The change in electric field of a charged particle can be measured using an electric field meter, which detects the strength and direction of the electric field at a given point. The electric field can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the charge and position of the particle and other relevant factors.