Change in internal energy in air

In summary, to calculate the change in internal energy when applying 300 kJ of heat to 2500 moles of air at constant pressure, we can use the equation (f/x)nkT. However, it is important to determine the degrees of freedom and whether to use the number of moles as n=2500/6.022 x 10^23 (avogadro's constant) or simply plug in 2500 moles for n. To figure this out, we can look up the Cp for air, which mainly consists of diatomic molecules such as N2 and O2.
S1CkFiSh
If we apply 300 kJ of heat to 2500 moles of air at constant pressure, what is the change in internal energy?

So far i think I use the equation: (f/x)nkT, but I don't know how to calculate the degrees of freedom and whether I do or not, and whether or not to calculate the number of moles by n=2500/6.022 x 10^23 (avogadro's constant), or if I just plug 2500 moles into n?

Physics news on Phys.org
S1CkFiSh said:
If we apply 300 kJ of heat to 2500 moles of air at constant pressure, what is the change in internal energy?

So far i think I use the equation: (f/x)nkT, but I don't know how to calculate the degrees of freedom and whether I do or not, and whether or not to calculate the number of moles by n=2500/6.022 x 10^23 (avogadro's constant), or if I just plug 2500 moles into n?
Look up the Cp for air. It consists mainly of diatomic molecules (N2, O2), if you want to figure it out.

AM

ok, thank you very much its appreciated

1. What is internal energy in air?

Internal energy in air refers to the total energy contained within a given volume of air, including the kinetic energy of individual air molecules and the potential energy of their positions within the volume.

2. How does air's internal energy change?

Air's internal energy can change due to various factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, or volume. It can also change due to the addition or removal of heat.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and internal energy in air?

The temperature of air is directly proportional to its internal energy. As the temperature increases, the internal energy of the air also increases.

4. How is the change in internal energy of air measured?

The change in internal energy of air can be measured using a device called a calorimeter, which measures the heat exchanged between the air and its surroundings.

5. What are some real-world examples of changes in internal energy in air?

Some examples of changes in internal energy in air include the heating or cooling of a room, the expansion or compression of gases in a car engine, and the formation of clouds and precipitation in the atmosphere.