Change in internal thermal energy.

In summary, the conversation discusses a disagreement between a student and their instructor regarding a physics problem involving the change in internal thermal energy of an ideal gas. The student believes the answer is 60J, while the instructor insists it is -20J due to a negative work term. The student argues that a negative work term means positive work is done on the gas, which should result in a positive change in internal energy. The instructor's reasoning is that a negative work term always means energy is leaving the system, regardless of who or what is doing the work. The student plans to further investigate this issue if their grade is affected.
bbhill
Q: 20 J of heat energy is added to an ideal gas while -40J of work is done BY the same gas. The total change in internal thermal energy of the system is what?

Equations I used: [tex]\Delta[/tex]Eth = Heat + Work
[tex]\Delta[/tex]Eth = Heat - Ws

This was a problem on a recent physics test I took and I said the answer was 60J. However, my instructor insists that the correct answer is -20J. He says that -40J of work is energy leaving the gas regardless of whether the gas is doing the work or the environment is doing the work. I don't see how this is possible. My reasoning is that (-40J) of work is done by the gas = 40J of work done ON the gas. Thus, [tex]\Delta[/tex]Eth= 20 J + 40J.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this is?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm on your side. Essentially, the question contains a double negative (a negative amount of exiting energy) which your instructor is interpreting as a negative amount and you are interpreting as a positive amount.

Or look at it this way: most people would take the opposite statement, "40J of work is done by a gas," to mean that 40J of energy left the system. Your instructor is claiming, then, that replacing "40J" with "-40J" in the above sentence makes no difference, which is illogical.

You are right. The convention is to write the first law as:

dU = dQ - dW; where dQ is the heat flow INTO the gas and dW is the work done by the gas.

If you are using that convention, a negative work term means that positive work is being done ON the gas so it increases internal energy.

As Mapes noted, if the question had stated that +40J of work is done by the gas, then the change in internal energy would be dQ - dW = 20 - 40 = -20J. So it cannot be the same result if -40J is done by the gas.

Your teacher may be confusing Q with work. Work is not something that "flows" into or out of the gas. That is the case with Q (at least the model on which thermodynamics is based) but not W. Work is only done ON or BY the gas.

AM

Yeah, these are the same things I told my professor, but he stood firm on his answer. I guess I'll let it slide for now and if my grade is affected at the end of the semester I'll look back into it.

Thanks

1. What is internal thermal energy?

Internal thermal energy refers to the total energy contained within a system, including both kinetic and potential energy of its particles.

2. How does internal thermal energy change?

Internal thermal energy can change through various processes such as heating, cooling, phase changes, and chemical reactions.

3. What factors affect the change in internal thermal energy?

The change in internal thermal energy is affected by the mass and temperature of the system, as well as the type of substance and any external factors such as heat transfer.

4. How is the change in internal thermal energy measured?

The change in internal thermal energy is typically measured in joules (J) using instruments such as calorimeters or thermometers.

5. Why is understanding the change in internal thermal energy important?

Understanding the change in internal thermal energy is important in fields such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and physics, as it helps us to predict and control the behavior of systems and reactions.