Thermodynamics - change in internal energy of the system for the path

In summary, the conversation discusses a system comprising of an ideal gas and its change in internal energy for different paths. Path AC has 200J of heat flowing into the system and 80J of work done by the system. Path CB has a concave-down curve and Path BA has a concave-up curve. It is determined that work is done by the system for Path CB and heat flow into the system increases internal energy. It is also mentioned that it is important to include reasoning and physics concepts when solving problems.
Ronaldo95163
Thermodynamics -- change in internal energy of the system for the path

Homework Statement

A system comprising of an ideal gas is taken from State a to State b, as shown in Figure 9 below, along th epath acb. 200J of heat flows into the system and 80J of work is done by the system along the path acb.

1) Find the change in internal energy of the system for the path acb.

2)Suppose the system were taken from State a to State b along the path adb instead. find the work done if 140J of heat flows into the system along this path. Is work done on or by the system

3)If the work done on the gas is 50J for the curved path ba, what is the heat flowing into or out of the system for this path?

4)If the internal energy of the gas at State a is 40J, what is the internal energy of the gas

5) If the internal energy of the gas is 90J at State d, what is the value of the heat flowing into the system along the path ad?

Homework Equations

ΔQ = ΔU+ΔW

The Attempt at a Solution

In the posted picture

For Part 2...work is done by the system.

Attachments

• IMG_20140408_235736.jpg
    IMG_20140408_235736.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_20140408_235808.jpg
    IMG_20140408_235808.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
Great!
Was there a question in all that?

For those who don't want to download the images:

Path AC is constant volume PA to PC
Path CB is constant pressure from VA=VC to VB > VA
Path BA is a concave-down curve... looks like an arc of a circle.

Woa so everything's good then?? :D

I also tried another one and this was my attempt at it:

Attachments

• IMG_20140409_164205.jpg
    IMG_20140409_164205.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_20140409_170606.jpg
    IMG_20140409_170606.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_20140409_170617.jpg
    IMG_20140409_170617.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 474
Woa so everything's good then?? :D
I don't know - is it? It's your post.
Was there something about it that you were unsure of?
Do you have some reason to doubt what you did?

Did you want me to check your work?

What I can do is check you reasoning and see if anything looks like it went awry from the POV of someone maybe marking it.

I wasn't sure if I worked it correctly...I won't mind if you checked my reasoning to see if everything's correct though.

... only you don't show any reasoning.
It looks lie you are just plugging numbers into equations.

i.e. I see you have: ##\Delta Q=\Delta U + \Delta W## ... why did you choose that one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_energy#Internal_energy_changes
... it helps you get good marks if you write a short comment about the physics you are using.
i.e. "work done by the system lowers internal energy, heat flow into the system increases it."

1. What is the concept of "change in internal energy" in thermodynamics?

The change in internal energy of a system refers to the difference in energy between the initial and final states of the system. It takes into account all forms of energy, including kinetic, potential, and thermal energy, and is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics.

2. How is the change in internal energy of a system calculated?

The change in internal energy is calculated by taking the difference between the final and initial internal energies of the system. This can be determined using various thermodynamic equations, such as the first law of thermodynamics or the specific heat formula.

3. What factors can cause a change in internal energy of a system?

The change in internal energy of a system can be caused by various factors, including heat transfer, work done on or by the system, changes in temperature or pressure, and chemical reactions. These factors contribute to the overall energy balance of the system.

4. How does the path of a system affect its change in internal energy?

The path of a system refers to the specific process or route that the system takes to go from its initial state to its final state. The change in internal energy can vary depending on the path taken, as some processes may involve more energy transfer or work done than others.

5. What is the significance of understanding the change in internal energy in thermodynamics?

Understanding the change in internal energy is crucial in thermodynamics as it helps us understand and predict the behavior of systems. It also allows us to calculate important thermodynamic properties, such as enthalpy and entropy, which are essential in various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and physics.