Change in Kinetic Energy of block

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 8K views
grouchy
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
A 4.5 kg block is set into motion up an inclined plane with an initial speed of 8.9 m/s. The block comes to a rest after traveling 6 m along the plane, which is inclined at an angle of 24 to the horizontal. Determine the magnitude of the change in the block's kinetic energy.

I tried Delta K= Work of the Force
so..

Delta K = mgh but I got it wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Delta K = mgh
What is the value of h you have substituted in this equation?
 
grouchy said:
I tried Delta K= Work of the Force
so..

Delta K = mgh but I got it wrong.
You don't need any such equation to answer the question. Instead: What's the initial KE? What's the final KE? What's the change?
 
I did also try Delta K = 1/2mVf^2 - 1/2 mVi^2. The final is 0 since it is at rest and I got -178.222 for the initial. But that was also wrong
 
rl.bhat said:
Delta K = mgh
What is the value of h you have substituted in this equation?

for h I user 6sin24.
 
grouchy said:
I did also try Delta K = 1/2mVf^2 - 1/2 mVi^2. The final is 0 since it is at rest and I got -178.222 for the initial. But that was also wrong
The initial KE = + 178.22 J. The change in KE is negative. But note that they ask for the magnitude of the change. (So drop the negative sign.)
 
ok, I get that now. Magnitude is just the number and not the sign.

But for the next part it says that (Assumed: The fristional force is constant. Determine the magnitude of the frictional force exerted on the block.)

do I use, Wf = DeltaK + DeltaU?
 
I don't get it, I'm getting it wrong. a previous question asked for the change in potential energy which I got to be 107.623. So I think I'm using the wrong sign or something...

I tried -178.223 + 107.623 and got -70.61N. I tried it with and without the negative sign and still got it wrong.
 
grouchy said:
I tried -178.223 + 107.623 and got -70.61N. I tried it with and without the negative sign and still got it wrong.
That's the work done by friction, in Joules not Newtons. Now find the friction force.
 
man..I suck at this physics stuff lol. I forgot that I found the W and not the force. Thx for your help though!