Change in Potential Energy: What am I doing wrong?

In summary, a 4.20 kg block is set in motion up an inclined plane with an initial speed of 7.70 m/s. It comes to rest after traveling 3.00 m along the plane inclined at an angle of 30.0° to the horizontal. The change in kinetic energy is calculated to be -124.5J, and the change in potential energy of the block-Earth system is 56.1J. When using trig functions, make sure to check the input mode of your calculator.
Fittleroni

Homework Statement

A 4.20 kg block is set into motion up an inclined plane with an initial speed of v0 = 7.70 m/s (Fig. P7.25). The block comes to rest after traveling 3.00 m along the plane, which is inclined at an angle of 30.0° to the horizontal.

1. For this motion, determine the change in the block's kinetic energy.
DeltaK = 1/2m(vf^2-vi^2)^2=-1/2mvi^2= -124.5J

This next question is the portion I am having problems with:

2. For this motion, determine the change in potential energy of the block-Earth system.

Homework Equations

DeltaU = mg(3.00)sin30.0

The Attempt at a Solution

=(4.20)(9.8)(3.00)(0.454)
=56.1

So what is wrong with my answer??

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the sine of 30 degrees?

Fittleroni said:

Homework Equations

DeltaU = mg(3.00)sin30.0

The Attempt at a Solution

=(4.20)(9.8)(3.00)(0.454)
=56.1

So what is wrong with my answer??

Before you begin calculations involving trig functions, always check the mode your calculator has been left in. The sine of 30 grads is 0.454; you need to reset the input mode to degrees...

1. Why is my potential energy not changing?

There could be several reasons for this. It is important to first check if all necessary factors for potential energy are present, such as an object with mass and a force acting on it. It is also important to make sure that the force is in the same direction as the displacement. Furthermore, potential energy is relative, so it is possible that the change is not noticeable due to the reference point being used.

2. How do I calculate the change in potential energy?

The change in potential energy can be calculated by multiplying the force acting on an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation ΔPE = FΔd. It is important to make sure that both the force and displacement are in the same units, such as Newtons and meters.

3. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This usually occurs when the reference point used for calculating potential energy is chosen to be at a higher level than the actual position of the object. This negative potential energy can then be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, as the object moves towards the reference point.

4. How does the height of an object affect its potential energy?

The higher an object is positioned, the greater its potential energy will be. This is because the force of gravity acting on the object will increase as the distance between the object and the Earth's surface increases. Therefore, the potential energy of an object is directly proportional to its height above the reference point.

5. What are some real-life examples of potential energy changing?

One common example of potential energy changing is when a roller coaster car reaches the top of a hill. The car has a high potential energy at the top of the hill due to its height, and this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the car moves down the hill. Another example is when an object is lifted off the ground, as its potential energy increases with its height above the ground.