Change in temperature after an inelastic collision

In summary, at the highest point the object (bullet+sphere) is at, the projectile has a kinetic energy of 2gh and the sphere has a kinetic energy of 1gh. The temperature of the object will increase by 1degree Celsius.
powerof

Homework Statement

We have a sphere of mass M=0.75 Kg hung from the ceiling by a massless tense cord. Said sphere is hit by a projectile/bullet of mass m=0.015 Kg with velocity [itex]v_{0}=300 m/s[/itex] and they are stuck together (inelastic collision). Find the height the (projectile+sphere) object reaches and whether it will get heated (ie, is there any heat produced by the impact). If so, calculate the change in the temperature of the object. The bullet and the sphere both have the same temperature at the moment of impact.

Known data: M, m, [itex]v_{0}[/itex] and the specific heat capacities: c(sphere): 0.03 cal/(g ºC), c(bullet): 0.12 cal/(g ºC).

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT, p=mv, KE=.5mv^2, PE ≈ mgh, ME=KE+PE

The Attempt at a Solution

Concerning the height, it is relatively easy to solve. The net force on the system is (assumed to be) zero, therefore the lineal momentum is conserved:

[itex]mv_{0}+M \cdot 0=(m+M)v_{f}\Rightarrow v_{f}=\frac{mv_{0}}{(m+M)}[/itex]

From the moment of collision onwards the mechanical energy is conserved since only conservative forces (gravity) affect the system. Also at the highest point the kinetic energy is null (for the potential energy I take as a reference point h=0 the initial level/height of the bullet and sphere):

[itex]\frac{1}{2}(m+M)v_{f}^{2}+mg \cdot 0=\frac{1}{2}(m+M) \cdot 0+(m+M)gh \Rightarrow v_{f}^{2}=2gh \Rightarrow (\frac{mv_{0}}{(m+M)})^2=2gh\Rightarrow h= \frac{1}{2g}(\frac{mv_{0}}{(m+M)})^2[/itex]

(note that [itex]v_{f}[/itex] is actually the initial velocity but I named it this way to have continuity between this and the previous equation)

My problem is with the heat. Assuming that all the difference in kinetic energy goes into producing heat (instead of other things as sound, etc.) then, since the initial and final kinetic energies differ:

KE (initial) + A = KE (final) → A=ΔKE.

I think this energy A is converted or manifests itself as heat instead of kinetic energy (assuming 100% efficiency), but how do I calculate the temperature? From the formula ΔT=Q/(mc) but that is assuming a uniform material; the object is made of different materials.

Please give me some tips/pointers.

Thank you for reading, and let me know if you want me to clarify anything.

Have a nice day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, so you have two materials that get heated. Two c values, two Q values, one ΔT (the bullet is inside, so the temperature difference between sphere and bullet evens out).

Of course, it's now so obvious. We just have a system:

[itex]\left\{\begin{matrix}\Delta T=\frac{Q_{1}}{m_{1}c_{1}}=\frac{Q_{2}}{m_{2}c_{2}}
\\ Q_{1} + Q_{2} = A = \Delta (E_{K})

\end{matrix}\right. \Rightarrow \frac{\Delta (E_{K})-Q_{2}}{m_{1}c_{1}}=\frac{Q_{2}}{m_{2}c_{2}} \Rightarrow \Delta (E_{K})=(\frac{m_{1}c_{1}}{m_{2}c_{2}}+1)\cdot Q_{2} \Rightarrow \frac{\Delta E_{K}}{(\frac{m_{1}c_{1}}{m_{2}c_{2}}+1)}=Q_{2}[/itex]

After having gotten Q2 we just substitute in the formula for ΔT and we get the desired answer.

Thanks for your help. I realized the solution while reading your post.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is different from the total kinetic energy after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. How does temperature change after an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into heat. This means that the temperature of the system will increase after the collision. The amount of temperature change depends on the properties of the materials involved in the collision and the amount of kinetic energy that is converted into heat.

3. Is there a formula to calculate the change in temperature after an inelastic collision?

There is no single formula to calculate the change in temperature after an inelastic collision. The change in temperature depends on various factors such as the properties of the materials involved, the initial and final velocities of the objects, and the amount of kinetic energy converted into heat. However, there are certain equations and principles, such as the conservation of energy and the specific heat capacity, that can be used to calculate the change in temperature in specific scenarios.

4. How does the mass of the objects involved in the collision affect the change in temperature?

The mass of the objects involved in the collision does not directly affect the change in temperature. However, it does affect the amount of kinetic energy that is converted into heat. Objects with larger masses have a higher thermal capacity, meaning they can absorb more heat before their temperature increases. Therefore, in a collision between objects with different masses, the change in temperature may vary depending on their thermal capacities.

5. Can the temperature decrease after an inelastic collision?

It is possible for the temperature to decrease after an inelastic collision, but it is not very common. In order for the temperature to decrease, the amount of kinetic energy converted into heat must be greater than the initial kinetic energy of the system. This would require a very large amount of energy to be dissipated, which is not typically seen in inelastic collisions. However, in certain scenarios, such as a collision with a very cold object, the temperature may decrease due to the transfer of heat from the system to the colder object.