Change in x and y for a change in position

  • Thread starter Thread starter NEWO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Change Position
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 10K views
NEWO
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
Basically I have a pointer that starts at a particular reference point on a circle with cartisean coordinates,this pointer then moves around the circumference of the circle with an angle theta, the arc length is known but what I need to find is the change relative to x and y.

I know that the arc length is given by;

[tex]\delta c =r_{c}\theta_{a}[/tex]

where [tex]\delta c, r_{c}, \theta_{a}[/tex] are the arc length, radius of the circle and the angle of the arc respectively.

[tex]\delta c, r_{c}[/tex], and [tex]\theta_{a}[/tex] are known

but what i don't know is how to find the new position of the pointer relative to x and y;

hence I need to find the change in x and the change in y.

I don't really know where to begin so if I could get some pointers rather than the answer then that would great.

Thanks for your time

N
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A point on a circle with radii r could be represent by
[tex](rcos\theta ,rsin\theta)[/tex]
in cartisean coodinate system...
Now you are asking to find the different of x, and y coordinate when [tex]\theta[/tex] change from [tex]\theta_0[/tex] to [tex]\theta_1[/tex]
 
chanvincent said:
A point on a circle with radii r could be represent by
[tex](rcos\theta ,rsin\theta)[/tex]
in cartisean coodinate system...
Now you are asking to find the different of x, and y coordinate when [tex]\theta[/tex] change from [tex]\theta_0[/tex] to [tex]\theta_1[/tex]

Yes that's what i need to do I think. I attach a crude representation of what I am trying to find

x and y are the unknowns

thanks
 

Attachments