Change in x and y for a change in position

In summary, the conversation is about finding the change in x and y coordinates when a pointer moves around a circle with a known arc length and angle. The formula for arc length is given and the radius and angle are known. The goal is to find the change in x and y, but the person is unsure of where to begin and is looking for guidance, not the answer.
NEWO
Basically I have a pointer that starts at a particular reference point on a circle with cartisean coordinates,this pointer then moves around the circumference of the circle with an angle theta, the arc length is known but what I need to find is the change relative to x and y.

I know that the arc length is given by;

[tex]\delta c =r_{c}\theta_{a}[/tex]

where [tex]\delta c, r_{c}, \theta_{a}[/tex] are the arc length, radius of the circle and the angle of the arc respectively.

[tex]\delta c, r_{c}[/tex], and [tex]\theta_{a}[/tex] are known

but what i don't know is how to find the new position of the pointer relative to x and y;

hence I need to find the change in x and the change in y.

I don't really know where to begin so if I could get some pointers rather than the answer then that would great.

Thanks for your time

N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A point on a circle with radii r could be represent by
[tex] (rcos\theta ,rsin\theta) [/tex]
in cartisean coodinate system...
Now you are asking to find the different of x, and y coordinate when [tex] \theta [/tex] change from [tex] \theta_0 [/tex] to [tex] \theta_1 [/tex]

chanvincent said:
A point on a circle with radii r could be represent by
[tex] (rcos\theta ,rsin\theta) [/tex]
in cartisean coodinate system...
Now you are asking to find the different of x, and y coordinate when [tex] \theta [/tex] change from [tex] \theta_0 [/tex] to [tex] \theta_1 [/tex]

Yes that's what i need to do I think. I attach a crude representation of what I am trying to find

x and y are the unknowns

thanks

Attachments

• arclength.bmp
    10.4 KB · Views: 524

What is the definition of "change in x and y for a change in position"?

"Change in x and y for a change in position" refers to the relationship between an object's position and the corresponding changes in its horizontal (x) and vertical (y) coordinates.

Why is it important to understand the concept of "change in x and y for a change in position"?

Understanding this concept is crucial for accurately describing and predicting the motion of objects in space. It allows us to track an object's movement and determine its velocity and acceleration.

How is "change in x and y for a change in position" calculated?

To calculate the change in x and y for a change in position, you subtract the initial position from the final position in both the x and y directions. This will give you the change in x and the change in y, which can then be used to determine the overall change in position.

What is the difference between "change in x and y for a change in position" and "displacement"?

The main difference is that "change in x and y for a change in position" refers to the change in an object's position in a specific coordinate system, while displacement refers to the straight-line distance and direction between the initial and final positions of an object.

How does "change in x and y for a change in position" relate to the concept of vectors?

"Change in x and y for a change in position" is essentially a vector quantity, as it has both magnitude (the change in position) and direction (horizontal and vertical). It can be represented graphically with an arrow pointing in the direction of the change, which is a common way to represent vectors.